Sharp Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wasn't aiming my post at anyone in particular. I have tried to be a friend to a person who grew up under Communism.

Come on, Addie, be serious.

But please keep in mind, that it is not that Charlie can't spell, but that The English language is a foreign language to him. Even the letters are totally foreign to what he grew up with. Some day just take a look at the letters of the Russian language. Would you be able to spell in his native tongue?

Addie....good grief...yes, English is a tough language to learn, as is any language that's not native to the household in which we grow up.

(btw...didn't you and your Englishman husband ever discuss 'nappies' before the birth of your child? Just wondering why it took until after the birth for you to figure out what a nappy was.....:ermm:)

Last edited:
Addie....good grief...yes, English is a tough language to learn, as is any language that's not native to the household in which we grow up.

(btw...didn't you and your Englishman husband ever discuss 'nappies' before the birth of your child? Just wondering why it took until after the birth for you to figure out what a nappy was.....:ermm:)

No. There are a lot of words that are peculiar to the Queen's English. Words I never hear until I married him. Bonnet was another word. I asked him to bring me the bonnet on the bed. He stood there looking at me like I had lost my mind. To him a bonnet is the hood of a car. What did I know? I just wanted to get the baby dressed to go outside.

We often had some very strange conversations.

Gotcha, Addie. Thank you for your reply. I'm sure some of the conversations back then were memorable! :LOL:

I would tell my mother about them and the two of us would laugh to tears. He got hurt at work and had to stay home for six weeks. So I went out and found a job and he had to stay home and watch the kids. My youngest daughter was just learning to talk. Her father had a Scottish accent mixed with British words. He taught her to say, "My name is Maurrrrreen Harrrrrris. With that Scottish roll of the tongue. Took me a year to break her of rolling her R's. But she never quite lost it. When she would yell at her kids for something they did, you could hear R's rolling off her tongue.

Thank you everybody for understanding. But in all honesty, it really is my fault. I do not spell well in Russian either. I do know how to spell in Russian, but when I have to put words on paper, my thoughts are so much far ahead of my hands and trying to keep up with what is going on in my head is challenging. I bet if I'd go to doctor they'd diagnose me with some sort of disorder, thankfully they have discovered many nowadays.

But hey, let's get back on track and talk knives.;)

Thank you everybody for understanding. But in all honesty, it really is my fault. I do not spell well in Russian either. I do know how to spell in Russian, but when I have to put words on paper, my thoughts are so much far ahead of my hands and trying to keep up with what is going on in my head is challenging. I bet if I'd go to doctor they'd diagnose me with some sort of disorder, thankfully they have discovered many nowadays.

But hey, let's get back on track and talk knives.;)

I think we all have that problem. Now what was I saying? :wacko:

I should clarify, I actually use an 8" Henckels Santoku knife; the culinary knife kit came with a 10" knife that is too long to be comfortable for me. My husband likes it, though. I honestly can't imagine using a steak knife to make quick work of chopping a bunch of vegetables or fruits, especially melons.

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary, i.e., your experience may be different from mine ;)
So after this discussion, I broke down and bought myself a small Santoku knife. On the third use last night, I cut my finger, and while it didn't require stitches, it did bleed quite a bit. I was even being extra careful because of the unfamiliar feel and the sharpness. 30 years of using a steak knife and no cuts vs. 3 uses of a Santoku; I'm going back to my steak knife before I lose more than a little blood. :chris:

Back
Top Bottom