"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #51
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have two of the top picture and one of the bottom picture. I don't use any of them...

Old 08-10-2017, 11:29 PM   #52
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have two of the top picture and one of the bottom picture. I don't use any of them...
I wouldn't know what to do with the top one.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:01 AM   #53
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I wouldn't know what to do with the top one.
Shrek does, he's pretty good...I just sit and listen.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
It's just apparent that in many of the comments, the posters are unaware that the two instruments have different spellings.

Unless the red line pops up under the word I type, I would not know the difference.

So, yes, you are absolutely right I am unaware not only of two different spelling, I am unaware of spelling in general, as you can see in many of my posts. In the future, fire away and correct my spelling. I'll be grateful.

P.S. Not that i am defending myself, everybody knows I can't spell, but I did copy the spelling from the poster before me, an American poster, unlike me.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Unless the red line pops up under the word I type, I would not know the difference.

So, yes, you are absolutely right I am unaware not only of two different spelling, I am unaware of spelling in general, as you can see in many of my posts. In the future, fire away and correct my spelling. I'll be grateful.

P.S. Not that i am defending myself, everybody knows I can't spell, but I did copy the spelling from the poster before me, an American poster, unlike me.
But please keep in mind, that it is not that Charlie can't spell, but that The English language is a foreign language to him. Even the letters are totally foreign to what he grew up with. Some day just take a look at the letters of the Russian language. Would you be able to spell in his native tongue?
Old 08-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #56
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
But please keep in mind, that it is not that Charlie can't spell, but that The English language is a foreign language to him. Even the letters are totally foreign to what he grew up with. Some day just take a look at the letters of the Russian language. Would you be able to spell in his native tongue?
English seems to be a foreign language to many native born Americans too (not pointed at anyone here, just an observation from years of reading a lot of useless junk online ). I'm only OCD about one thing, and that is using mostly correct spelling and grammar when I post anything online. I can't break down and name most of the parts of a sentence, but I am generally able to put words together to make a reasonably coherent statement. I feel a bit ashamed of myself when I go back and reread a post and find a stupid mistake after it's too late to edit.

My post wasn't directed at Charlie. I've had quite a few friends who have moved here from all over the world, and I have no criticism for anyone who has the guts to make such a monumental change in their lives. Most of the posts that mentioned a kitchen mandoline spelled it as the musical instrument, not the kitchen utensil, an easy and understandable mistake. I was simply pointing it out for anyone who cared to know the correct terminology.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #57
Sous Chef

Quote:

Charlie makes no more spelling errors than I do..

My excuse? None, other than I missed spelling class that day..and all subsequent days.. (thank you spell check for correcting 'subsequent')

I was really good at sports and Rock N Roll dancing tho...

Ross

Ross
Old 08-14-2017, 07:37 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Charlie makes no more spelling errors than I do..

My excuse? None, other than I missed spelling class that day..and all subsequent days.. (thank you spell check for correcting 'subsequent')

I was really good at sports and Rock N Roll dancing tho...
Ross
Ross
I wasn't aiming my post at anyone in particular. I have tried to be a friend to a person who grew up under Communism. My daughter-in-law also did. Her father has only been here for about three years. And he couldn't speak not one word of English. So I understand where Charlie is coming from. Other than the circle of friends that his daughter and wife had, he knew no one who could speak his language. My heart broke for him. Fortunately my son along with his baby learned to speak his language. So that was a help.

Every time I saw him I always gave him a big hug. It became the family joke. But I always taught him a new word of English. And we would sit for about twenty minutes while he practice the word and knew the meaning. So I understand what Charlie had to go through when he first arrived in this country. My heart goes out to him. English is not the easiest language to learn. Nor understand or spell. Just start with "bow, bough". Is that a bow for the hair, or bow from the waist"? Or bough for a tree or bow from the waist"? Americans know (or should know) the difference. But since that is so confusing, imagine how an alien to our shores feels.

For my son's FIL to try and find a job when he first arrived was impossible. Finally Home Depot hired him only because another worker came from his country. (Albania) That is where he learned most of his English. He is a fantastic carpenter and HD put both of them in the lumber department.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #59
Sous Chef

Quote:
I wasn't aiming my post at anyone in particular.
I understand that, Addie and I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were..

I was, in my own simple manner, applauding Charlie for his efforts in spelling in a language which is not one he grew up speaking..

Ross
Old 08-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
I understand that, Addie and I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were..

I was, in my own simple manner, applauding Charlie for his efforts in spelling in a language which is not one he grew up speaking..

Ross
Glad to hear that. English is so dang complicated. It is a wonder that anyone can learn it. Even the Americans. And then there is the "Queen's English."

I have told this story before. When my first child was born, my husband who was English offered to change her diaper. Nappy is in language. He brought the dirty diaper out to me and ask where should he put the "Nappy". Where it belongs, was my reply. I didn't know what a Nappy was. So he put it with the other ones. Imagine my surprise when I found the dirty diaper the next time I went to get a clean one. So if I have trouble trying to understand a person who does speak English, I can only imagine what it is like for those who come to our shores.

Tags
knives