Sharp Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you use the safety food pusher? I wouldn't even think of slicing a breath of fresh air without it. I have the hand held mandolin as well as the Oxo. Oh, I just had to have that Oxo one. Took it out of the box, and put it right back in. Have yet to use it. And that was more than two years ago. Maybe some day I will get up the courage to give it a go.

Safety guard? Those things a for wimps!:ermm::ohmy::angel::LOL: I even managed when I used one.:( Don't ask!:glare:

Do you use the safety food pusher? I wouldn't even think of slicing a breath of fresh air without it. I have the hand held mandolin as well as the Oxo. Oh, I just had to have that Oxo one. Took it out of the box, and put it right back in. Have yet to use it. And that was more than two years ago. Maybe some day I will get up the courage to give it a go.

Buy a pair of those cut resistant gloves and you don't have to worry about it. I think that the pusher is a pain in the rear.

I have the original Oxo mandoline with a straight blade, and I can knock out a big pile of potatoes or sliced zucchini in minutes. Juliene carrots is just as fast. And I never worry about adding any "personal protein" to the mix because I always wear these:

A1xql67%2BmaL._SL1500_.jpg

I guess it's just me. I have no issue using the gripper thingie with my V-Slicer. I can whip through an onion or potato down to the last slice a warp speed without a thought of getting cut.

I don't think I could get used to wearing gloves while using a knife. I don't even like wearing a finger cot.

I guess it's just me. I have no issue using the gripper thingie with my V-Slicer. I can whip through an onion or potato down to the last slice a warp speed without a thought of getting cut.

I don't think I could get used to wearing gloves while using a knife. I don't even like wearing a finger cot.
It's not just you ;) I use mine, too. It's more difficult with some other produce, like carrots and cabbage, so I also have a cut-resistant glove. It's handy to use with a box grater, too. I don't wear it when using a knife.

I only use them with my mandoline and sometimes with my microplanes, not with a knife.

I'm afraid to say it out loud, but I really can't remember a serious cut with a knife. My Dad was a butcher by trade and I spent endless hours watching him work. He lived to old age, and was very proud he still had all his digits and never a serious cut.
Now my madolin is a different story. I'll never again use it without the guard.

Shortly after Jeannie and I got together, I sharpened all of her mothers knives..(They were terrible dull)

A week later she had to go to the ER for a sliced finger..

Not the best start... :wacko:

Ross

Unless they make those gloves in child size, then they are useless to me.

What is the biggest chef's knife they make? This one to me at least was huge. Pirate says it was probably a 10"? I always thought that all professional chef's knives were 12 inches.

One of the old Iron Chef show. In one of the episodes they had Japanese chef with a knife that was 18 or 20 inches long. And he was peeling an apple with that. it was art.

4 or 5 years ago I was given a set of razor sharp Henckels knives as a gift. As I was chopping veggies for my birds, I was distracted for just a second and took the tip of my left thumb off clean. Fortunately it didn't get bone, though. I didn't have the knives 5 minutes and i cut myself.

It has grown back, but I am just now getting feeling back in that fingertip.

At least the coppers won't be able to trace that thumbprint any longer.

When I bought my first mandolin it was a Christmas gift to myself. I opened it all up, threw away the box and never used it until... I got divorced and moved. Somewhere along the way I threw out the hand gripper on top, not knowing what it was :wacko: and that's how I got my first cut. I now know but I think they are a pain in the rear and like someone else said, I always think I can get one more cut in. I'm definitely going to invest in the glove! I haven't used it in awhile but when I make zuppa toscano soup, I like those thin thin potatoes!

When I bought my first mandolin it was a Christmas gift to myself. I opened it all up, threw away the box and never used it until... I got divorced and moved. Somewhere along the way I threw out the hand gripper on top, not knowing what it was :wacko: and that's how I got my first cut. I now know but I think they are a pain in the rear and like someone else said, I always think I can get one more cut in. I'm definitely going to invest in the glove! I haven't used it in awhile but when I make zuppa toscano soup, I like those thin thin potatoes!
It's also great for shredding cabbage, carrots and onions for coleslaw.

Have you considered contacting the manufacture and finding out about getting a new one? It can't cost more than $10 at the most. They may even send one for free rather than have you give yourself a bad slice or two.

Have you considered contacting the manufacture and finding out about getting a new one? It can't cost more than $10 at the most. They may even send one for free rather than have you give yourself a bad slice or two.
Oh that's the one I gave away, I bought myself a newer more expensive model that was horrible, got rid of that one and am back to a cheapie model :LOL:

I cut pretty much everything with a steak knife. I never saw my mother or grandmother use a chef's knife; they both cut things with steak knives, too. I don't even own a chef's knife, and I know my parents don't either. I have a large cleaver-type knife that I use for cutting pineapples and melons in half, a bread knife, a paring knife I use almost exclusively on strawberries, and a filet knife that makes an appearance maybe once a year. Other than that, I use my trusty steak knives for cutting and chopping everything from meat to veggies. I'm pretty sure I'd cut myself much more often using anything larger. I think the only knife I've ever really cut myself with is the bread knife.

I cut pretty much everything with a steak knife. I never saw my mother or grandmother use a chef's knife; they both cut things with steak knives, too. I don't even own a chef's knife, and I know my parents don't either. I have a large cleaver-type knife that I use for cutting pineapples and melons in half, a bread knife, a paring knife I use almost exclusively on strawberries, and a filet knife that makes an appearance maybe once a year. Other than that, I use my trusty steak knives for cutting and chopping everything from meat to veggies. I'm pretty sure I'd cut myself much more often using anything larger. I think the only knife I've ever really cut myself with is the bread knife.

When it comes to the kitchen, I don't do much of anything my mother does. She keeps her cheap knives in a crock next to the stove, so they can knock against each other, dulling and damaging the blades. She was too impatient to teach me much about cooking, so I've learned on my own, plus taking several classes, plus two months in culinary school (I had to withdraw for medical reasons, but I was there long enough to keep the knife kit! :clap:).

A good chef's knife is a great tool that makes cooking much easier. Just like quality cookware. YMMV, of course ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom