"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Sharp Knives

I cut myself yesterday. It happened when I was washing dishes.
I was using a sponge on my fillet knife that is very sharp. Little mistake and I get a fairly deep slice into my finger.
I have cut myself chopping parsley and other things as well. I would guess this happens two or three times a year. I expect it to happen sooner or later as I am exposed to knives daily.

Wife made a comment and I decided to bring this here.

My point was that anyone using sharp knives will eventually cut themselves. Even the best chefs in the world get cut now and again.
That this is a teaching lesson each time and I now will be extra careful in the future starting today as I have a lot of prep work to do.
It will happen again for sure. Its just a matter of time.

What about you guys. Does it happen to you and how often?

Old 07-29-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
Master Chef

I was chopping a wet bell pepper one time and my finger slipped on the pepper. I neatly sliced off the entire fingernail from my left forefinger. Not one drop of blood was lost, just the fingernail itself. Do you have any idea how sensitive the skin under your fingernail is?

Old 07-29-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I was given a 12" Japanese Chef Knife as a gift. Now I stand 4'6" short. That dang knife was almost as tall as me. I had some prep work to do. So I peel the carrots and got my new knife and took it out of the box. Lined up the carrots to slice and the first thing I sliced with it was my finger. Really good! My son now has that dang knife.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I was given a 12" Japanese Chef Knife as a gift.
12 inches? I believe you were misled. That was not a Chef's knife, it was a wakizashi!
Old 07-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
12 inches? I believe you were misled. That was not a Chef's knife, it was a wakizashi!
What is the biggest chef's knife they make? This one to me at least was huge. Pirate says it was probably a 10"? I always thought that all professional chef's knives were 12 inches.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

It happens to everyone from time to time.

Contrary to popular kitchen wisdom, I don't believe dull knives cause more cuts than sharp ones. I believe the sharpness of the knife doesn't matter. As you can testify it's carelessness that causes cuts. The only difference I've noticed is that cuts from dull knives hurt more.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
What is the biggest chef's knife they make? This one to me at least was huge. Pirate says it was probably a 10"? I always thought that all professional chef's knives were 12 inches.
Addie, you can buy a chef's knife in 6", 8" and 12" lengths (and probably other sizes too depending on the manufacturer. Chef's knife refers to the shape of the blade.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:20 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The chef's knife that came with my knife kit from culinary school is 9 inches. I don't like it but DH does, so he uses it. I use a 7-inch Henckels Santoku.

I think anyone who works in a kitchen regularly is going to cut themselves occasionally. I do think dull knives are more dangerous because they will often slide off the item rather than cut it.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

It happens to me once or twice a year. My guess is it happens when you feel to comfortable using your knife and you start to forget giving your attention to what you doing.

Kinda like power tools, when you get to comfortable using them with out a thought of safety is when they bite you.
Looking for old Walther PP pistol clip/magazine #981029
Steven c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:47 AM   #10
Master Chef

Though I have cut myself with a knife, my biggest nemesis is the mandolin! Seems the two we use have it in for me. No, that was not a thin slice of garlic!

Tags
knives