Sharp table knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffin3

Senior Cook
Does anyone else sharpen their every day table knives?
For everyday use I use a set of British sterling flatware I inherited.
I have a knife sharpener I use to keep the table knives nice and sharp. The sharpening doesn't ruin the look of the knife. You can't even notice the sharp edge.
I always get a smile when a quest exclaims "Wow this knife cut through the steak like butter!"
Anyone else keep their table knives sharp?

Table knives usually are not made to be sharpened.

Steak knives may or may not be sharpened. Those that are serrated vs. straight edge.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 395
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 354
Does anyone else sharpen their every day table knives?
For everyday use I use a set of British sterling flatware I inherited.
I have a knife sharpener I use to keep the table knives nice and sharp. The sharpening doesn't ruin the look of the knife. You can't even notice the sharp edge.
I always get a smile when a quest exclaims "Wow this knife cut through the steak like butter!"
Anyone else keep their table knives sharp?
I hate to have to say this but if the table knives need sharpening so does the cook

What you call a table knife is what I call a butter knife, and that is what I use it for. I have two sets of steak knives that are extra sharp if I am serving meat that has to be cut.

I hate to have to say this but if the table knives need sharpening so does the cook
And I hate to say if one needs a serrated steak knife to cut a piece of beef the cook's method needs some sharpening. LOL

:)Do you eat your dinner with a butter knife or have another knife if not using a steak knife ? Just curious .

When my mother died my father asked me if I wanted it. Silly man. Didn't he remember my griping loud enough to be heard the next town over how I hated polishing it? He ended up donating it to the church. :angel:

What you call a table knife is what I call a butter knife, and that is what I use it for. I have two sets of steak knives that are extra sharp if I am serving meat that has to be cut.
Ah. I obviously misinterpreted this. I thought the OP meant table knives as in knives and forks ie the knife you cut the food with and sometimes push it onto your fork with - well, you don't but we do :)

IMO Andy's picture is correct. In SLoB's picture, I think that knife is too long to be a butter knife. It's a dinner knife. If the steak knife is at the same scale as the other utensiles, then it looks like a paring knife.

And I hate to say if one needs a serrated steak knife to cut a piece of beef the cook's method needs some sharpening. LOL

One could say the same if you feel that you have to sharpen your table knives. ;)

You must have access to better cuts of beef that I do. It's not that I can't cut a ribeye steak or a piece of rump roast with a regular table knife, but it's clearly going to be easier with a steak knife. Today I made dinner for my father-in-law, open-faced hot pork sandwiches with mashed potatoes and gravy. The pork could be cut with a fork if one was so inclined, but that would squish the bread underneath it to nothing. I set the table with steak knives because that seemed to be appropriate. If we had been having bread and butter along with it, then I'd have set the table with both.

I don't like spreading butter with a sharp knife, and I don't like mashing down some foods with a table knife, so I try to set the right tool for the job at hand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom