Shelfable bread spread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can now get individual serving sized foil packets of crab, baby shrimp, tuna, salmon, and smoked oysters that would be great with mustard or cocktail sauce and crackers. Buy the condiments in small jars...neither of them needs refrigeration. Keep some fresh fruit on hand, too, for a healthy snack.

oldcoot said:
cyberian, by sugar do you mean sucrose (white table sugar) or any of the other of the many natural sugars? Glucose, your blood sugar, is essential to keep you running - it's your "fuel". Without it, everything stops and you're dead. It is converted from the various sugars and starches in ALL foodstuffs = you cannot, and should not, avoid them.
The refined sucrose sugar has received a bad rap - it is a pure plant sugar, and nothing about it is harmful IN MODERATION, like everything else.
I am not sure. I believe I have diabetes. I didn't get tested yet, because I cannot afford one at the moment.

So assuming that I do have diabetes, I should avoid sugary food, correct?

cyberian said:
I am not sure. I believe I have diabetes. I didn't get tested yet, because I cannot afford one at the moment.

Not knowing where you live makes it hard to give you any help on where to get free diabetes testing. But, if you want to learn more about diabetes and what a diabetic diet is - check out the American Diabetes Association website: http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp

Thanks, Michael. I'll check out the site.

kitchenelf said:
Is it possible for you to buy just a small cooler? Keep a few things in there?
I bought a small refridgerator 2 years back from Radio Shack, and it was terrible. It was suppose to keep things at 4'C, according to the facts on the box. But practically, it was at 12'C and above. So I returned it.

I don't have the kind of money to spend on coolers and refridgerators now. I am out of job at the moment; still looking. And still have to pay my rent. So I got to spend money wisely.

cyberian said:
I don't have the kind of money to spend on coolers and refridgerators now. I am out of job at the moment; still looking. And still have to pay my rent. So I got to spend money wisely.

Boy - have I been THERE! :(

So - what do you have in the way of a stove and cookware? You might be able to do better than just bread spreads.

cyberian said:

cyb, if you think you have it, you HAVE, HAVE-to get tested! i know 4 people with this illness and have learned that blood sugar is soooooooooo important from them. since 2 are in my close family, and one of those two was a Grandparent, i asked my dietician about it. i learned that
avoiding sugary foods isn't a simple cure. you have to balance and count all carbs, from the toast that you have in the morning to the peas you have as a side dish at dinner. things you wouldn't see as carbs are. even bubble gum.
put your health first, please.

Last edited:
oops. had to erase that cause i couldn't get it to delete.

Last edited:
Thanks for your concern.

I will get tested when I get more financially stable. If it is cheap to get tested, I will do it sooner. But I will have to go find out the price first.

Again we come around to where you live, cyberian. If you live in the USA - every county has a county hospital that will treat you/do testing based on your income. That's 3,076 counties the last time I counted. They can help you sign up for Medicaid ... and since you are out of work the testing would probably be free. Following this route - if you are diabetic then the Medicaid insurance would pay for diabetic testing equipment, and medications and supplies, if you should need it.

Tell me what county and state you live in and I can probably give you the info you need to get in touch with an agency that can help you get tested.

Back
Top Bottom