Shelfable bread spread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyberian

Assistant Cook
Are there any bread spread that I do not require refridgeration and will last months after opened so I can keep in on the shelf? I don't have a refridgerator. :(

Healthy bread spread please; with nutritional value. Not the just-for-taste kind.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I forgot... Something with low sugar, or no sugar, please. Thanks again.

Isn't peanut butter bad? At least I heard.

Peanut butter sticks to the bottom gum; under my tongue. And throat. It makes it very hard for me to get it off. Maybe it's just me, or I am buying the wrong kind of peanut butter. Both chuncky and smooth looks the same to me. And never understood what is so 'chuncky' about a spread.

Well, the chunky has chopped up peanut bits in it. As for peanut butter, it does have some good qualities. Here's some info off of the Jif extra crunchy I have in the cupboard:
(for 2 Tbsp)
Protein: 8 g
Sugars: 3 g
Total Carb.: 7 gm
Cholesterol: 0 gm
Sodium: 130 mg
Total Fat: 16 gm
Calories: 190

This is why moms give peanut butter to their kids.
If you've no refrigerator, you can certainly make much use of the PB - not just for a bread spread, but use it in a blender with a banana and milk (get a small one just for this if there's no frige) for a great milkshake. Also, you can heat it in a skillet, along with diced green onions, a bit of ginger, milk (you can even use evaporated milk for this) and some thai spice. Add this to cooked chicken and serve over pasta.

Okay, thanks.

BTW, do sugarless PB really have no sugar? Or just a very low content of it?

Any more bread spread suggestions are welcome.

You can check an organic food store for stuff like that, Cyberian.

However, a lot of organic stuff does require refrigeration, as there aren't preservatives in them.

cyberian, peanut butter, namely the all-natural stuff without the added oils, is great for you. it has lots of good fats, is loaded with protein, and has lots of viamin e, niacin and fiber. the cheap brands like jif and skippy are not so very good for you; they have hydrogenated oils added. go for the stuff on the organic foods aisle, or make your own. use a neutral-flavored oil if you do make your own. but, like jkath said, you'll have to chill it.
vegemite is a very good spread for toast. it's low-calorie and loaded w/ b-vitamins. if i'm not mistaken, it's the highest source of b-vitamins availablw in any food item. you use just a DAB of the stuff, but you have to put butter on the toast first. although my Grandma, rest her soul, used to keep her butter out in a butter dish, and it was always fine.

Jellies and jams require refridgeration...

I got a jar once and it started molding in a few days.

Honey is sweet, but has beneficial factors. Anything that is natural does. It's the processed stuff you have to worry about.
As for butter, it can be kept out, as long as it's in a butter bell, which is a little crock that also holds water (you change the water every couple of days) that makes a seal to keep it fresh.

Best advice: Read. Read all labels. If a product needs refrigeration, it will say so on the label. Also, those little dorm-size fridges aren't very expensive, and they will hold a lot of food.

cyberian, by sugar do you mean sucrose (white table sugar) or any of the other of the many natural sugars? Glucose, your blood sugar, is essential to keep you running - it's your "fuel". Without it, everything stops and you're dead. It is converted from the various sugars and starches in ALL foodstuffs = you cannot, and should not, avoid them.
The refined sucrose sugar has received a bad rap - it is a pure plant sugar, and nothing about it is harmful IN MODERATION, like everything else.

My mother always kept her butter out except in really hot weather, when it tended to turn rancid from the heat.

If your jelly gets mold on top, just scrape it off. There's too much sugar in the jelly for it to spoil. The bacteria are smarter than we are in that respect. Same way with cheese...just trim off the mold.

Our grandmothers didn't have the luxury of roomy, efficient refrigeraters, and let many things set out that would make us very leery. A lot of lunches were eaten from leftovers that had been left out on the stove from the night before. I don't know what kept people from dying of food poisoning...they must have been tougher than we are.

Constance, I think it's the same theory as "don't drink the water in Mexico". Those who live there are able to, yet we aren't. It's what we've developed resistances to, wouldn't you think?

You know, that would make for good reading...you know, what folks ate without the use of a refrigerator, and the like. I imagine those in snow country must have considered the snow a luxury!

I agree, Jkath.
My dad's mother was an Amish lady, married to hard-workin', hard-drinkin' Scots-Irish farmer in Iowa. She grew the vegetables, he grew corn and potatoes.
Of coursed refrigeration was no problem in the winter...they slaughtered in the fall and hung the beef in the upstairs spare room (to keep the animals out of it)...and it stayed frozen. She canned her pork the same way she did her produce...over a wood fire outdoors, in big copper kettles with straw in the bottom to keep the jars from breaking.
The canned goods, sauerkraut, pickles, potatoes, apples, etc. were stored in "the cave"...a combination storm cellar and storage facility.
In the summer, though, they chilled their milk, butter, cottage cheese and the like in the deep well. They ate a lot of chicken then, and dad said grandma could wring a chickens neck with the flick of her wrist.
It was his job to pluck the chickens and singe off the pin-feathers, and for the rest of his life he hated "grass-hopper chickens". If he came through my kitchen door and I was boiling a chicken, he'd just turn around and leave.

This is the was my DH grew up except for the drinking part. They didn't have a ref. until he joined the Navy. (No electric and the bathroom had a half moon on the door...) Her stove was in the house and she cooked on it even though when DH sister moved from N.C. to Ca. she stored her electric stove there right next to the wood burning stove and by that time they did have electric but she still used her old stove.
When DH was stationed in Florida and in N.C. we would gp visit and boy was it hot in the kitchen!!
Dove

Non-perishable spread

Back to subject, This may be what you've been looking for, Cyberian.

PEANUT BUTTER BREAKFAST SPREAD

Ingredients:
3/4 c. chunky style peanut butter
2 tbsp. honey
1/2 c. finely chopped dried fruit (such as raisins, dates, apricots, figs, prunes, or apples)

Directions: Blend together peanut butter and honey; stir in dried fruit.
Store at room temperature in a tightly covered container.
Makes 1 1/2 cups spread.

*I know regular peanut butter has a lot of added sugar, but that's what keeps it from spoiling. I don't know anything about the health-store type, but if that's what you want to use, I'd only buy a little at a time if I were you.

For the specifications you stated - healthy, nutritious, store it on the shelf after opening, etc. - PEANUT BUTTER as others have said. While it doesn't really "spoil" after being opened it will, in time, go rancid because it has peanut oil in it.

Sugar isn't always a bad thing. A peanut butter sandwich with a little drizz of honey is good for you (well, skip the honey if you're under about 2-years old, really old, or have an immune diffecience disease like HIV/AIDS).

If you really want to know about peanut butter - go here and read a little: http://www.peanutbutterlovers.com If you want to know if a brand of peanut butter on the shelf at the supermarket has sugar in it ... READ THE LABEL! Some have added sugar - some don't.

Other alternatives would be single serving sized canned meats - like potted meat. A sardine sandwich isn't bad, etc.

Back
Top Bottom