"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Sherry question

So I've found myself in a bit of a pickle.

dh was looking through one of my cooking magazines and found a cheesy chicken broccoli bake (it's not a casserole though) that he was enthusiastic about. He looked at the photo and the title and that was good enough for him.

I looked at the recipe this morning and there is a half cup of dry sherry in there.
dh doesn't like alcohol and he doesn't like sweet flavors mixed with savory.

I'm not sure what to do or how I can substitute it.

Ingredients are:
chicken
butter
onion
flour
chicken broth
sherry
cream
broccoli
parm cheese

I'll serve it with rice.
Thanks! Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 03-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well, it's really not going to give it a sweet taste - but the flavor is an important one. I'm thinking you could sub apple juice and be fine.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Master Chef

If he doesn't like alcohol or sweet mixed with savory, definitely leave it out and sub chicken broth.

Sherry is a common flavor note in pot pies and other creamy chicken casserole things, but it's fine to leave it out.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Head Chef

I cook with wine and sherry very often. I just made up a chicken stir fry and that was awesome using sherry. If you make it right, whatever you make, you will never be able to taste the sherry or wine. The alcohol dissipates and all that is left is a dish with a very good depth of flavor. Leaving it out will give your dish a flatter, less interesting taste.
Your husband will never know there is sherry in this dish unless you tell him. If you really are unconvinced, then cut the sherry by 1/4 cup and add apple juice to make up the half cup. I wouldn't do that on a bet, but you might feel more comfortable. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Executive Chef

If you take out the sherry and are unsure about the lack of flavour, add some garlic to the dish or another seasoning that appeals. As neither of you have had the dish, the sherry won't be missed, esp not if another flavour is used in its place. Also it depends how the sherry is being used as to whether a sub is really needed or not. Half a cup is a fair whack.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
Head Chef

I would omit the sherry (it's loaded w salt anyway), & increase the broth. I would replace the sherry (if it's cooking sherry) with wine, but if no alcohol is allowed/preferred - go with the broth & add some fresh herbs/seasonings.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I cook with wine and sherry very often. I just made up a chicken stir fry and that was awesome using sherry. If you make it right, whatever you make, you will never be able to taste the sherry or wine. The alcohol dissipates and all that is left is a dish with a very good depth of flavor. Leaving it out will give your dish a flatter, less interesting taste.
Your husband will never know there is sherry in this dish unless you tell him. If you really are unconvinced, then cut the sherry by 1/4 cup and add apple juice to make up the half cup. I wouldn't do that on a bet, but you might feel more comfortable. Good luck.
Have to disagree here. IMO sherry leaves a very distinct taste in pretty much whatever you use it in. I happen to like it. SOmeone I cook for, not so much and I can never get away with using it without it being detected.

Also the alcohol may dissipate but never evaporates completely. In a casserole like this (I presume it's added to the bechemel sauce) a very good amount will probably remain.

Also, sherry is not salty. Supermarket "cooking sherry" is and that's nasty stuff which should be avoided.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Thanks everyone!
I wouldn't be worried about it if it was evaporated it until au sec but it just gets dumped in the sauce.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Why not deglaze with a few tablespoons. That should get rid of most of the alcohol. (Do it off the heat - it may flame up.) If you like the taste, you can always add more next time, or leave it out.

By the way, dry sherry (fino or amontillado or just "dry" ) is not sweet.

Cream sherry is sweet. I normally don't use it in cooking, but keep some around for grandma.

Cooking sherry is TERRIBLE! Don't use it.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
Master Chef

That's what I do when I am making a chicken pot pie. I love the flavor. It's subtle but it's there. Although there is some alcohol left behind, that is hard to detect (as opposed to flavor).