Sherry question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
So I've found myself in a bit of a pickle.

dh was looking through one of my cooking magazines and found a cheesy chicken broccoli bake (it's not a casserole though) that he was enthusiastic about. He looked at the photo and the title and that was good enough for him.

I looked at the recipe this morning and there is a half cup of dry sherry in there.
dh doesn't like alcohol and he doesn't like sweet flavors mixed with savory.

I'm not sure what to do or how I can substitute it.

Ingredients are:
chicken
butter
onion
flour
chicken broth
sherry
cream
broccoli
parm cheese

I'll serve it with rice.
Thanks! Any advice would be appreciated!

Well, it's really not going to give it a sweet taste - but the flavor is an important one. I'm thinking you could sub apple juice and be fine.

If he doesn't like alcohol or sweet mixed with savory, definitely leave it out and sub chicken broth.

Sherry is a common flavor note in pot pies and other creamy chicken casserole things, but it's fine to leave it out.

I cook with wine and sherry very often. I just made up a chicken stir fry and that was awesome using sherry. If you make it right, whatever you make, you will never be able to taste the sherry or wine. The alcohol dissipates and all that is left is a dish with a very good depth of flavor. Leaving it out will give your dish a flatter, less interesting taste.
Your husband will never know there is sherry in this dish unless you tell him. If you really are unconvinced, then cut the sherry by 1/4 cup and add apple juice to make up the half cup. I wouldn't do that on a bet, but you might feel more comfortable. Good luck.

If you take out the sherry and are unsure about the lack of flavour, add some garlic to the dish or another seasoning that appeals. As neither of you have had the dish, the sherry won't be missed, esp not if another flavour is used in its place. Also it depends how the sherry is being used as to whether a sub is really needed or not. Half a cup is a fair whack.

I would omit the sherry (it's loaded w salt anyway), & increase the broth. I would replace the sherry (if it's cooking sherry) with wine, but if no alcohol is allowed/preferred - go with the broth & add some fresh herbs/seasonings.

Last edited:
I cook with wine and sherry very often. I just made up a chicken stir fry and that was awesome using sherry. If you make it right, whatever you make, you will never be able to taste the sherry or wine. The alcohol dissipates and all that is left is a dish with a very good depth of flavor. Leaving it out will give your dish a flatter, less interesting taste.
Your husband will never know there is sherry in this dish unless you tell him. If you really are unconvinced, then cut the sherry by 1/4 cup and add apple juice to make up the half cup. I wouldn't do that on a bet, but you might feel more comfortable. Good luck.

Have to disagree here. IMO sherry leaves a very distinct taste in pretty much whatever you use it in. I happen to like it. SOmeone I cook for, not so much and I can never get away with using it without it being detected.

Also the alcohol may dissipate but never evaporates completely. In a casserole like this (I presume it's added to the bechemel sauce) a very good amount will probably remain.

Also, sherry is not salty. Supermarket "cooking sherry" is and that's nasty stuff which should be avoided.

Last edited:
Why not deglaze with a few tablespoons. That should get rid of most of the alcohol. (Do it off the heat - it may flame up.) If you like the taste, you can always add more next time, or leave it out.

By the way, dry sherry (fino or amontillado or just "dry" ) is not sweet.

Cream sherry is sweet. I normally don't use it in cooking, but keep some around for grandma.

Cooking sherry is TERRIBLE! Don't use it.

That's what I do when I am making a chicken pot pie. I love the flavor. It's subtle but it's there. Although there is some alcohol left behind, that is hard to detect (as opposed to flavor).

Thanks everyone!
I wouldn't be worried about it if it was evaporated it until au sec but it just gets dumped in the sauce.

If hubby just doesn't like the alcohol then leave it out. As already suggested, just add more broth. That's about all you can do. Sure, the flavor will be different - but I think that's what you are after! :LOL: ;) There's plenty of casserole-type recipes we have all made where sherry is not used - it will be great!

And yes, cooking sherry (or cooking wine or anything labeled cooking *add name of alcohol here* should not EVER be used! :sick:

I would omit the sherry (it's loaded w salt anyway), & increase the broth. I would replace the sherry (if it's cooking sherry) with wine, but if no alcohol is allowed/preferred - go with the broth & add some fresh herbs/seasonings.

Sherry is NOT loaded with salt! Unless you bought something that says "Cooking Sherry". All "Cooking" wine is loaded with salt, and it is stuff that is mainly undrinkable, at any rate.

Corazon, not sure what you mean about "dumping" into the sauce. I'm sure the recipe says to reduce the sherry before adding additional ingredients. I'm not looking at your recipe, but no sauce calls for "raw" alcohol. It would be really unpleasant, flavorwise. As well, after you add the sherry, and the other ingredients, what's to keep you from cooking it for 4 or 5 more minutes, to "cook" it, no matter what the directions say. ;)

Last edited:
Corazon, not sure what you mean about "dumping" into the sauce. I'm sure the recipe says to reduce the sherry before adding additional ingredients. I'm not looking at your recipe, but no sauce calls for "raw" alcohol. It would be really unpleasant, flavorwise. As well, after you add the sherry, and the other ingredients, what's to keep you from cooking it for 4 or 5 more minutes, to "cook" it, no matter what the directions say. ;)

Hmmm. I've seen and used many a sauce recipe that called for the addition of unreduced sherry. This could be because of alcohol-soluable flavor components or just simple ease of use.

I do agree that you should cook out the sauce to get rid of the raw alcohol taste.

I'm looking at the recipe here.
Basically you make a roux, then add the cream, broth and sherry. Cook for 3 minutes until thickened. No reduction. That's what I meant by "dumping"

I would make the roux and then add the sherry. stir it in and THEN add the cream and broth. That will give the sherry time to get "cooked." and it will make a difference in the flavor of your dish. Make sure you use Fino or other dry sherry. Manzanilla and Palo Cortado are also very dry.

As ChefJune mentioned, real sherry is NOT salted. The dreck you buy that's labeled "cooking wine" is salted and heavily at that. Leaving out the sherry would make a difference - that's why they put the sherry in the recipe. It is also a tenderizer in marinating meat and poultry. Adding garlic in place of sherry is not a good idea, in my opinion since it will add an addtional flavor not originally in the recipe and will change the character and taste of the dish. There are some things that just don't work.

Back
Top Bottom