"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
Head Chef

Shopping Today

I usually don't buy boneless skinless chicken breasts but they were on sale for $1.79 a pound so I couldn't refuse.

I bought a 6 1/2 # package.
Didn't look too closely
Got home and opened the package.
There were only 5 breasts in the pack.
These chicken must be related to Dolly Parton.
3 were a pound and a half and the other 2 were a pound each.

Since I usually buy whole chickens and break them down this was quite the surprise to me.
Each breast weighed about 1/4 of the whole chicken I usually get.

Is this the new norm in chickens since "healthy" eating promotes boneless, skinless, (flavorless) chicken as the way to go?

Was I deceived in my purchase and am now the owner of silicone enhanced chicken parts?

Oh I'll use them and can't complain about the price.
But I think I'll go back to the more labor intensive whole chicken in the future.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Shopping Today

One of our local Fareway stores, known for their meats and poultry, also sells Dolly Parton relatives. I too got 6 lbs recently for a decent price. One half breast easily fed both of us.

Thinking they're from older chickens? Or maybe they're going the way of turkey breeding? The ones I got weren't enhanced with any solutions or sodium, they were fresh.

At any rate, they taste pretty good.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
Sous Chef

It is a bigger kind of chicken most often. like Jersey Giant or a mix breed between Plymouth Rock and Cornish Game, then fed on a feed that makes them fat and big quicker but their legs and feather suffers.
Most of these chicken breast has as much fat as a big mac with fries.
And to make sure they are big, they some times inject them with brine.

Yes, I have a friend who works with food safety and yes, had to go through chicken farms in Sweden, Denmark, USA, UK and few other places to check health and legal stuff.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
One of our local Fareway stores, known for their meats and poultry, also sells Dolly Parton relatives. I too got 6 lbs recently for a decent price. One half breast easily fed both of us.

Thinking they're from older chickens? Or maybe they're going the way of turkey breeding? The ones I got weren't enhanced with any solutions or sodium, they were fresh.

At any rate, they taste pretty good.
I'm glad to see I'm not alone getting Dolly sized breasts and they aren't enhanced. I'm going to give them breast reduction surgery before I cook them so that they are a reasonable portion size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
It is a bigger kind of chicken most often. like Jersey Giant or a mix breed between Plymouth Rock and Cornish Game, then fed on a feed that makes them fat and big quicker but their legs and feather suffers.
Most of these chicken breast has as much fat as a big mac with fries.
And to make sure they are big, they some times inject them with brine.

Yes, I have a friend who works with food safety and yes, had to go through chicken farms in Sweden, Denmark, USA, UK and few other places to check health and legal stuff.
I can understand breeding chickens to maximize the output. But with truth in labeling laws these things should be named Dolly Chickens.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Well instead of labeling laws, why not pass laws that forbid feeding chicken unnatural feed? We did it in Sweden.
I still get huge breast sometimes due to by mistake grabbing the brine ones. Normal weight for frozen is about 180 grams - 230 grams per breast.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #6
Head Chef

Passing another law on top of law will never help.

Don't want to drift into the forbidden here. Gotta remain PC so as not to offend.

And please define " unnatural feed".

Any and all chickens I've encountered will eat just about anything they can find. Including each other if the opportunity presents itself.

My original thought was if super sized boneless/skinless chicken breasts were becoming the norm since the popular belief is fat in any form is a bad,bad thing.

Pass all the laws you want but you'll never find compliance and it only opens up the black market to supply what people want.

I'll enjoy my Dolly Chicken until the supply is exhausted and not worry too much about it.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
Master Chef

I keep trying to visualize these big boob chickens walking around with normal size legs. Hmm, it does sound like Dolly.

Not long ago, I made some nice almond flour crusted Chicken Piccada by partially freezing one and slicing it vertically into three pieces.

They are also nice for cutting into big thick chunks for kabobs on the grill.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:15 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like to make baked panko chicken nuggets with them. Nice and meaty. I'm a white meat chick.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
Master Chef

Shopping today

That's my wife says to me every time I ask her what she is doing today...
Old 09-04-2016, 06:51 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

We've been seeing those extra big breasts too. They seem to be the norm where we shop.