Shopping Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagut

Head Chef
I usually don't buy boneless skinless chicken breasts but they were on sale for $1.79 a pound so I couldn't refuse.

I bought a 6 1/2 # package.
Didn't look too closely
Got home and opened the package.
There were only 5 breasts in the pack.
These chicken must be related to Dolly Parton. ;)
3 were a pound and a half and the other 2 were a pound each.

Since I usually buy whole chickens and break them down this was quite the surprise to me.
Each breast weighed about 1/4 of the whole chicken I usually get.

Is this the new norm in chickens since "healthy" eating promotes boneless, skinless, (flavorless) chicken as the way to go? :rolleyes:

Was I deceived in my purchase and am now the owner of silicone enhanced chicken parts? :mad:

Oh I'll use them and can't complain about the price.
But I think I'll go back to the more labor intensive whole chicken in the future. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
One of our local Fareway stores, known for their meats and poultry, also sells Dolly Parton relatives. I too got 6 lbs recently for a decent price. One half breast easily fed both of us.

Thinking they're from older chickens? Or maybe they're going the way of turkey breeding? The ones I got weren't enhanced with any solutions or sodium, they were fresh.

At any rate, they taste pretty good.

Last edited:
It is a bigger kind of chicken most often. like Jersey Giant or a mix breed between Plymouth Rock and Cornish Game, then fed on a feed that makes them fat and big quicker but their legs and feather suffers.
Most of these chicken breast has as much fat as a big mac with fries.
And to make sure they are big, they some times inject them with brine.

Yes, I have a friend who works with food safety and yes, had to go through chicken farms in Sweden, Denmark, USA, UK and few other places to check health and legal stuff.

Last edited:
One of our local Fareway stores, known for their meats and poultry, also sells Dolly Parton relatives. I too got 6 lbs recently for a decent price. One half breast easily fed both of us.

Thinking they're from older chickens? Or maybe they're going the way of turkey breeding? The ones I got weren't enhanced with any solutions or sodium, they were fresh.

At any rate, they taste pretty good.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone getting Dolly sized breasts and they aren't enhanced. I'm going to give them breast reduction surgery before I cook them so that they are a reasonable portion size. :mrgreen:

It is a bigger kind of chicken most often. like Jersey Giant or a mix breed between Plymouth Rock and Cornish Game, then fed on a feed that makes them fat and big quicker but their legs and feather suffers.
Most of these chicken breast has as much fat as a big mac with fries.
And to make sure they are big, they some times inject them with brine.

Yes, I have a friend who works with food safety and yes, had to go through chicken farms in Sweden, Denmark, USA, UK and few other places to check health and legal stuff.

I can understand breeding chickens to maximize the output. But with truth in labeling laws these things should be named Dolly Chickens. :LOL:

Well instead of labeling laws, why not pass laws that forbid feeding chicken unnatural feed? We did it in Sweden.
I still get huge breast sometimes due to by mistake grabbing the brine ones. Normal weight for frozen is about 180 grams - 230 grams per breast.

Passing another law on top of law will never help. :rolleyes:

Don't want to drift into the forbidden here. Gotta remain PC so as not to offend. ;)

And please define " unnatural feed". :ermm:

Any and all chickens I've encountered will eat just about anything they can find. Including each other if the opportunity presents itself. :huh:

My original thought was if super sized boneless/skinless chicken breasts were becoming the norm since the popular belief is fat in any form is a bad,bad thing. :mellow:

Pass all the laws you want but you'll never find compliance and it only opens up the black market to supply what people want. :cool:

I'll enjoy my Dolly Chicken until the supply is exhausted and not worry too much about it.

I keep trying to visualize these big boob chickens walking around with normal size legs. Hmm, it does sound like Dolly.

Not long ago, I made some nice almond flour crusted Chicken Piccada by partially freezing one and slicing it vertically into three pieces.

They are also nice for cutting into big thick chunks for kabobs on the grill.

I like to make baked panko chicken nuggets with them. Nice and meaty. I'm a white meat chick.

Yeah, the last time I went shopping for chicken breasts they were gone from the shelf, so the guy went back to find some more. He brought them out and I asked him if he was sure these were chicken breasts because from the size of them, I thought they were from a small pony.

A lot of those chickens really can't stand up anymore when they're grown. But they're slaughtered when they're pretty young now. We're all eating Frankenchickens.

Well instead of labeling laws, why not pass laws that forbid feeding chicken unnatural feed? We did it in Sweden.
I still get huge breast sometimes due to by mistake grabbing the brine ones. Normal weight for frozen is about 180 grams - 230 grams per breast.

It's not feed that makes the breasts larger; it's selective breeding. White meat is more popular, so breeders developed varieties that grow that way to satisfy demand.

Personally, I prefer thigh meat that needs to be cooked longer, and has much more flavor, but breast meat has it's place too.
The best flavorful nuggets of the bird is the two oysters at the back, only the good cook knows about. Shushhh...

We have boneless/skinless breasts here frequently because there must be 50 ways to Sunday to fix them. That, and sometimes I can get them as low as $1.49 a pound. Not often, but when I can...:w00t: I've become vigilant, though, in reading all of the tiny print on the package. Some stores sell it "enhanced with up to 15% sodium solution". Um, you mean salt water, right? So I'm paying $1.49 a pound for salt water? Nope, I no longer buy from that store. The store I now buy chicken from assures me that their chicken is all natural, no antibiotics or growth hormones, and no water or other enhancements. I guess I believe them, or at least hope they're telling the truth. The chicken tastes fine and we've never had a problem, so that's good.

...Or maybe they're going the way of turkey breeding?...
It sounds a lot like that is exactly what has happened over the decades. I found an article that explains about how a larger bird came about. It's an easy read, if you want to find out more: How Did Modern Chickens Get So Damned Big?

GotGarlic, it both, you take big breed chicken, feed it fatty food so it grows up quicker and bigger and people get what they want.

Hubby used to work in chicken shed in UK, factory farming, the feed is so greasy it is like balls of fat and my dear friend in USA says it same where he works at the moment.

We haven't bought meat from anywhere other than Penn Dutch or Restaurant Depot in a long time, and usually get chicken at PD. The breasts and the thighs both are Dolly Parton'ish, not that she has big thighs, just the comparison. The last time Craig made cupcake chicken he had a lot of trouble getting the thighs to fit in the regular size muffin tins and was thinking about using the bigger muffin tins next time.

Personally, I prefer thigh meat that needs to be cooked longer, and has much more flavor, but breast meat has it's place too.
The best flavorful nuggets of the bird is the two oysters at the back, only the good cook knows about. Shushhh...

Darn you Kayelle. Please "DO NOT" let that information out about the oysters. :mad:
There are just some things that those who suffer the heat of the kitchen need to keep to ourselves. ;)

I'm also a thigh, drumstick kind of person but the price was right on these Dolly's. I just was amazed at the size of them.

I guess since Boneless/Skinless breasts are the new "healthy" I shouldn't have been surprised.

The market dictates what's available as it should. :rolleyes:

And I'm really liking the nugget suggestion by Dawgluver.
That's going to be on the menu soon since I've still got the deep fryer out of mothballs. :chef:

I rarely cook BS chicken breasts separately as the protein in a dish. Most often it's an ingredient in a stir-fry or other recipe.

I've become vigilant, though, in reading all of the tiny print on the package. Some stores sell it "enhanced with up to 15% sodium solution". Um, you mean salt water, right? So I'm paying $1.49 a pound for salt water? Nope, I no longer buy from that store. The store I now buy chicken from assures me that their chicken is all natural, no antibiotics or growth hormones, and no water or other enhancements. I guess I believe them, or at least hope they're telling the truth. The chicken tastes fine and we've never had a problem, so that's good.

Adding a salt solution is essentially brining, which people often do at home. It provides some insurance against overcooking and drying out the meat.

Also, it's illegal to use hormones in chicken in the United States. Putting on the package that it's hormone-free is just marketing, like advertising GMO-free bottled water :rolleyes:

It sounds a lot like that is exactly what has happened over the decades. I found an article that explains about how a larger bird came about. It's an easy read, if you want to find out more: How Did Modern Chickens Get So Damned Big?

I read that one, too. Good info.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom