"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Head Chef

Should I be insulted??

So, I asked my kids ( 15 (boy) and 13 (girl)) what they wanted for dinner tonight. Its my day off. I love cooking, and have never considered it a chore. Got all the time in the world to prepare just about anything they want. My kitchen is fully stocked, just went shopping. Been cooking for about 30 years. Attended many food and wine shows, and seen many talented chefs perform culinary masterpieces before my eyes. Havnt traveled abroad much, but living in the northeast, with New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington Dc in my backyard, Ive had the opportunities to try dozens of different cuisines ( and always attempted to recreate what ive experienced , at home. So, what were my kids response??? Ramen Noodles. So I labored over the stove, got the 6 cups of water to a boil, added the 3 flavor packets, then the Noodles. A few minutes later, dinner is served.

Anyway,

Ill just assume its a teenage thing ( and not that my food taste like crap).

Just had to vent,

larry

Old 09-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Master Chef

It's not your cooking. My grandson loves those things, just as he loves my seafood pasta and grandpa's prime rib. It's a kid comfort food.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Master Chef

Next time serve them real ramen and not the instant crap. Show them what the real stuff tastes and looks like.... :)))
Old 09-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Well, you clearly were insulted. I used to be too.

Join the club. My kids don't appreciate 99% of my cooking skills. My two daughters have foods they don't like so I can't prepare them when they come for dinner. Sadly they each have different dislikes. Add in SIL's dislikes - now that's a really long list!

Don't be offended, it's not about you. They want ramen noodles because that's what's cool. ( I guess)

Be cheered by the fact that in 10 years or so, everything will change and they will be asking you for cooking lessons.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Kids have to buck the system now and then and go with something different!

Barbara
Old 09-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Head Chef

Well, my sons taste buds are a little funky. One of his favorite lunches is a Feta cheese and pickle sandwich. And my daughter, If I say I like "A" she says she likes "B". If I say 1 she says 2 .... My son does show some interest in cooking. His high school offers a baking class. He came home with his first finished project ( a chocolate chip cake). This week will be an apple pie. And next week, peach cobbler.

When he offers me a piece of his cake, I should say i prefer a twinkie instead

Id never do that, but it would sure be funny to see the look on his face
Old 09-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Well, my sons taste buds are a little funky. One of his favorite lunches is a Feta cheese and pickle sandwich. And my daughter, If I say I like "A" she says she likes "B". If I say 1 she says 2 .... My son does show some interest in cooking. His high school offers a baking class. He came home with his first finished project ( a chocolate chip cake). This week will be an apple pie. And next week, peach cobbler.

When he offers me a piece of his cake, I should say i prefer a twinkie instead

Id never do that, but it would sure be funny to see the look on his face
I'd say that it's time to let the kids make some of the meals. When they put some of their own creativity to work, they take ownership. Before long, they will be asking for your advice and expertise.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Years ago, after my daughter got her first job, Taco Bell was her meal of choice, no matter what I cooked. That was eighteen years ago. She still eats Taco Bell once or twice a week, but now she also likes eating at home. It must be a maturity thing

Yeah, right!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
Certified Cake Maniac

I cook for our youth group quite often. We have a service week where they work hard in the community and we feed them lunch and dinner for 5 days. We have lasagna, pizza, mac and cheese, etc. and all homemade. Their favourite lunch? Friday which is grilled cheese and Mr. Noodles (along the lines of Ramen). We went through 48 packages this year for 30 kids! and not one noodle left.

Oh, they love the other stuff, but this is hands down the favourite.

So, Larry, I hate to tell you but your kids are normal

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
Head Chef

On the bright side, dinner only cost me about 89 cents