"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Should restaurants give out recipes?

in reading the thread about making za'atar, i thought of the hows and whys of the few times i've gotten recipes from restaurants i've visited.

some restaurants have been more than willing to give out recipes, such as the park and orchard restaurant in east rutherford, nj. they have the most frequently requested ones already printed out behind the bar.

but then there was the now defunct jimmy armstrong's on 10th and 57th in nyc. after jimmy died, myself and a few regular patrons offered the chef hundreds of dollars each for their pork chop marinade when they had been sold and were closing. at the closing party and auction, chef jimmy turned down 7 bills and retired.

so, do you think that restaurants should be willing or able to give out recipes, hedging that home cooks don't have the talent nor equipment to reproduce their fare? or should they keep their cards close to their vest?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:30 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don't think good food should be taken to the grave...what a waste.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't think a restaurant should feel obligated to hand out its recipes. Even for money. I imagine the restaurant industry to be pretty competitive and they don't need their secret marinade finding its way to a competitor's restaurant two blocks down the road. It's a shame some recipes go to the grave though.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Head Chef

When restaurants get sold one of the terms discussed is recipes. Are they included or not, often a value is placed on them. Some chefs even sell recipes to other places.

If the recipe is given out for free to everyone who it does reduce the price tag during a sale.

On tripple D what I see a lot of is the places show you basicly what goes in and the meathod of cooking. Which gives you a good idea of how to cook the dish but now how to make an exact copy.

Lawsuits are aften filed over recipies. Restaurant owner sues over recipes

That said it is some places do give them out to customers.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
Senior Cook

As for me, they could give me the recipe and the ingredients and it still wouldn't taste the same. That is the fun of cook'n, adding your "touch". I'm guess'n that most chef's don't make it the exact same way twice, either. Am I wrong?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
On tripple D what I see a lot of is the places show you basicly what goes in and the meathod of cooking. Which gives you a good idea of how to cook the dish but now how to make an exact copy.

Triple D does have a cookbook out and I believe there has been a second season one published as well. With that said, I've never actually eaten at any of the restaurants showcased so can't give an opinion on whether or not the recipes given out match up with what you get in the restaurant.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Triple D does have a cookbook out and I believe there has been a second season one published as well. With that said, I've never actually eaten at any of the restaurants showcased so can't give an opinion on whether or not the recipes given out match up with what you get in the restaurant.
The food network website even has a top 100 recipes. But like you I have never been to any of the places that were showcased.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Master Chef

Recipes are the originator's intellectual property and can do with them what they want. No one can be obligated to share them if the don't want to.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Head Chef

Although there are many resturants I would loved to have some of their recipes.
I say no to giving them out. Reason being, that is what makes the resturant, if the recipes are out then once the sense of going to the resturant to eat, make it at home, then the resturant that worked hard to build it up closes due to lack of business.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
When restaurants get sold one of the terms discussed is recipes. Are they included or not, often a value is placed on them. Some chefs even sell recipes to other places.

If the recipe is given out for free to everyone who it does reduce the price tag during a sale.

Lawsuits are aften filed over recipies. Restaurant owner sues over recipes

That said it is some places do give them out to customers.
I agree that it is up to the chef/owner whether they want to share or sell or keep secret.

I was reading this post and had to click the link since I knew my favorite pizza joint sued over recipe infringement. Lo and behold, the link was to an article about my pizza place! I grew up in that little town and Guido's was THE place to go for pizza. Every time we went back there to visit a trip to the restaurant was always in order. I've even bought extra pizzas, frozen them and brought them back to VA. My BIL had some shipped to my sister for Christmas. It is truly some of the best pizza around. You could not get it anywhere else.