"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Shredding Meat

Hi - new to the site. I love to cook/bake (but still a beginner). I was wondering how do you shred meat. I love stringy chicken for soups, pork for sandwiches, etc. Suggestions?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclaires11 View Post
Hi - new to the site. I love to cook/bake (but still a beginner). I was wondering how do you shred meat. I love stringy chicken for soups, pork for sandwiches, etc. Suggestions?
I usually let the meat cool down the shred with my fingers or you can do it with two forks, It's easy to do..a big welcoime to the group
kadesma

Old 01-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Hi welcome to the group! It's really a fun place!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Master Chef

Basically cook the meat, let it cool and pull it apart instead of cutting it up. As kades said it can be done with fingers or two forks but I find the utensils God gave me to work the easiiest and fastest.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I always shred with two forks. Beef, chicken, two forks at all times. I generally like using shredded meat for things like chicken salad, taco meat, tamales, etc and I always use two forks. I don't like using my fingers because I usually have acrylic nails and the meat sticks under the nails. It's kind of gross.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I like to pull the meat apart with my hands. I learned, the hard way, not to leave it in the fridge and do it the next day. It's best when you pull it apart soon after it rests. I just bought some special gloves that can handle the heat.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
Head Chef

If your meat doesn't shred easily, you didn't cook it enough. If you cook your meat in a crockpot for 8-10 hours it will almost shred itself. I love then to toss in a full bottle of BBQ sauce...well, the contents of the bottle anyway.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I have to do it with my hands, too....I can't stand any fat mixed in and I might miss some doing it with forks!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
If your meat doesn't shred easily, you didn't cook it enough. If you cook your meat in a crockpot for 8-10 hours it will almost shred itself. I love then to toss in a full bottle of BBQ sauce...well, the contents of the bottle anyway.
I also like the crock pot method and I also use my hands to shred when meat has cooled.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
Master Chef

If I am going to shred meat up, I like to slow cook it in the crock pot first as well. Once it is done I let it rest until it is cool enough to handle then shred with my fingers. Sometimes it is then mixed back into some of the broth and spices to keep it moist and ready to serve, or mixed with BBQ sauce for pulled sandwiches.