"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC

I guess we should never invite folks over for steamed crabs or a crawfish boil then? Pickin and peelin are all part of the fun. A couple cases of iced down Abita beer and Laissez les bon temps rouler!

I agree that certain meals should not have your guest working. I was just funnin ya.

Craig
I agree- my bf and I ate peel and eat shrimp at bubba gump's and it was so fun! :) These had a slit in the shell and I believe were de-veined. Is it difficult to do this?

Old 02-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
Senior Cook

They are better cooked in the shell for the same reason its better to roast meat on the bone. The shells contain gelatin which is loaded with flavor. They also contain a chemical called chitosan which is believed to help lower cholesterol and fight obesity. Cooking the shells long enough (about 15 minutes) is enough time to cook out all the goodies.....but overcooked shrimp are rubbery. If you are making gumbo or something clean the shrimp of its shell and wrap it in a cheesecloth during the simmer process. Add the shrimp in at the very end as they will cook in just a few minutes!

To skittle: They make a shrimp knife that peels and de-veins a shrimp with one fell swoop. (the head must be removed first)

Old 02-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I've heard of this too. If you keep them in the shell, they are much easier to grill. The juices stay inside and you have little problems with them sticking to the grill.

//www.lowcarbgrub.com
megamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I guess we should never invite folks over for steamed crabs or a crawfish boil then? Pickin and peelin are all part of the fun. A couple cases of iced down Abita beer and Laissez les bon temps rouler!

I agree that certain meals should not have your guest working. I was just funnin ya.

Craig
If I were planning to eat crabs or crawfish (ick) I would expect to shell and peel. Scampi and Alfredo should have the shrimp shelled. Had to peel my shirmp Alfredo one time in a restaraunt - very messy. Actually took the fun out of eating it.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

The shells absolutely add a lot of flavor. If you wanted to make a shrimp stock you just need to boil the shrimp shells and you have a very flavorful stock.

I agree with Andy that there are times when flavor should be sacrificed for ease of eating. I do not want to be in a nice restaurant or at a nice affair dressed in good clothes trying to negotiate getting shrimp covered in sauce out of the shell. As much as I love shrimp, I skip shrimp in the shell if I am in that sort of situation.

A compromise that one of the restaurants I frequent uses is that they peel the shell off mostly, but leave the tail and last little bit of shell on. I can then use my form and knife to easily cut the tail piece off. I loose a little bit of the shrimp that way, but I remain clean and the shrimp do not go flying all over the place. I am not sure how much flavor that little bit of shell actually adds though.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
...A compromise that one of the restaurants I frequent uses is that they peel the shell off mostly, but leave the tail and last little bit of shell on. I can then use my form and knife to easily cut the tail piece off. I loose a little bit of the shrimp that way, but I remain clean and the shrimp do not go flying all over the place. I am not sure how much flavor that little bit of shell actually adds though.

That's a decision the kitchen makes for presentation over accommodating the customer's comfort. I see no real benefit (other than appearance) to cooking shrimp with that little bit of shell on.

Tags
shrimp