Sick of Leafing Through Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
raindance, the simplest way to organize your recipes is to use theowrd processing software on your computer and type recipes into it in a standard format. You can create folders like sections of a cookbook for things like appetizers, soups, salads, stews, meats, etc. Then you file the recipes in their folders and they would automatically list in alphabetic order.

I keep almost all my recipes on my computer. All the ones I use regularly are there and ones I want to try as well but in separate folders.

If I use a recipe out of a cookbook I have and find I like it, I type it into the computer and save it there. That way I only ever have one place to look for a recipe.

Andy, what is the theowrd processing software???

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png
moz-screenshot-4.png

Here's a snapshot of my recipe folder layout on my computer. Click on the image to see a larger version.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-13 at 3.33.57 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-02-13 at 3.33.57 PM.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Thats so interesting Andy, how does one go about doing this??? Is it a program you buy???

Not a special program. If you have a PC, these would just be folders in your MY DOCUMENTS folder. If you have a MAC, these are folders in your FINDER.

Is there a search engine with the computer recipe program where you can search for a certain ingredient to make it easier to find a particular recipe? How do you find one recipe among all of them?

I use Big Oven software and they are also online at BigOven.com. :)
The software lets you search by ingredients, or by category like main dish, side dish ect. You can also search by occasion holiday, season, try soon, favorite ect. I really like using it and have owned it for almost 4 years. There have been updates during this time from user suggestions. I keep mine backed up on an external hard drive storage device. I like being able to e-mail recipes to friends, or print out shopping lists from my menu planner.

My solution takes a while to get set up, but after that it is marvelous. I use Allrecipes.com. For $10 a year you can enter your recipes into a Recipe Box and even file the recipes under catagories you pick. If I am using a recipe that is copyrighted then I mark it as personal and I am the only one that can use it. If you have a recipe that is yours then you can choose to share it. If you post it then reviewers can rate it and make suggestions. After I have tweaked a recipe to fit us then I save it as a Favorite and print it and place in a plastic sheet protector and put it in my binder. When I am ready to do a weeks menu I give the binder to my husband and he pulls out what he wants. I then go back and print a shopping list from the recipes. It takes a while to set it up, but it has worked wonders for me.

I have recipes that I use alot in a binder. I have a recipe stand as well. Recipes that I only use once in a while are in another binder. And, I have a cookbook scrapbook with all family recipes that I provided my daughter in law with, at wedding.

I plan on putting them on computer but prefer the handwritten ones to provide to my son and daughter in law. More personal touch. Thats just me.
(I add the origin of the recipe and history in order for them to know and keep it in the family)

I plan on putting them on computer but prefer the handwritten ones to provide to my son and daughter in law. More personal touch. Thats just me.
(I add the origin of the recipe and history in order for them to know and keep it in the family)

The recipes I use a lot get changed a lot, so I make a printout and keep it in my favorites tab of my binder. I take it out each time I make it and note any changes I made and how it turned out.

Combos with a lot of good changes gets its own printout.

:ermm:I have a word file that I have created for all of the recipes I see here that I just have to copy and paste into this file. I love it here!

I envy your daughter-in-law. I lost my mother unexpectedly at 63 and all her memories and recipes (mostly in her head) were lost along w/her love and companionship. The scrapbook was a wonderful gesture on your part.

Back
Top Bottom