"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
raindance, the simplest way to organize your recipes is to use theowrd processing software on your computer and type recipes into it in a standard format. You can create folders like sections of a cookbook for things like appetizers, soups, salads, stews, meats, etc. Then you file the recipes in their folders and they would automatically list in alphabetic order.

I keep almost all my recipes on my computer. All the ones I use regularly are there and ones I want to try as well but in separate folders.

If I use a recipe out of a cookbook I have and find I like it, I type it into the computer and save it there. That way I only ever have one place to look for a recipe.
Andy, what is the theowrd processing software???

Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

[IMG]file:///Users/Andy/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/Andy/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/Andy/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/Andy/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/Andy/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-4.png[/IMG]

Here's a snapshot of my recipe folder layout on my computer. Click on the image to see a larger version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-02-13 at 3.33.57 PM.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	9996  

Old 02-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #23
Head Chef

Thats so interesting Andy, how does one go about doing this??? Is it a program you buy???
Old 02-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Andy, what is the theowrd processing software???

I use Microsoft WORD which is part of the MS Office package. Most computers come with this or a simpler version of it that will more than suffice.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #25
Head Chef

Thank you for the info Andy...
Old 02-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Thats so interesting Andy, how does one go about doing this??? Is it a program you buy???

Not a special program. If you have a PC, these would just be folders in your MY DOCUMENTS folder. If you have a MAC, these are folders in your FINDER.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindance View Post
Is there a search engine with the computer recipe program where you can search for a certain ingredient to make it easier to find a particular recipe? How do you find one recipe among all of them?
I use Big Oven software and they are also online at BigOven.com.
The software lets you search by ingredients, or by category like main dish, side dish ect. You can also search by occasion holiday, season, try soon, favorite ect. I really like using it and have owned it for almost 4 years. There have been updates during this time from user suggestions. I keep mine backed up on an external hard drive storage device. I like being able to e-mail recipes to friends, or print out shopping lists from my menu planner.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

These are a lot of good suggestions. Many thanks to all of you.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

My solution takes a while to get set up, but after that it is marvelous. I use Allrecipes.com. For $10 a year you can enter your recipes into a Recipe Box and even file the recipes under catagories you pick. If I am using a recipe that is copyrighted then I mark it as personal and I am the only one that can use it. If you have a recipe that is yours then you can choose to share it. If you post it then reviewers can rate it and make suggestions. After I have tweaked a recipe to fit us then I save it as a Favorite and print it and place in a plastic sheet protector and put it in my binder. When I am ready to do a weeks menu I give the binder to my husband and he pulls out what he wants. I then go back and print a shopping list from the recipes. It takes a while to set it up, but it has worked wonders for me.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #30
Senior Cook

I have recipes that I use alot in a binder. I have a recipe stand as well. Recipes that I only use once in a while are in another binder. And, I have a cookbook scrapbook with all family recipes that I provided my daughter in law with, at wedding.