Silverside ok to do in slow cooker?/how long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam8819

Assistant Cook
well i'm new here so first hi! lol.

i brought a 2.108kg joint of silverside for one of our Christmas meat's and was wondering if it fine was to do in the slow cooking and how long? thats all.

good morning & welcome from manchester,sam.
silverside is fine in the slow cooker.if i were cooking it i would make up a "christmas"dry rub(incorporate ground bay leaf,ground cloves,ground nutmeg,ground cinnamon,ground/dried orange peel & ground star anise into the "usual supects"(paprika,garlic,salt,pepper,chilli,brown sugar etc etc)).rub it evenly over the meat & let the meat marinate in the spices,in the fridge,overnight.put some thickly sliced onions in the base of the s/c as a trivet then put the meat & any liquid drawn from the meat,by the spices,in the s/c BUT DON'T ADD ANY ADDITIONAL LIQUID.plenty will come out of the meat during cooking which you can use as a base for gravy or dipping sauce.lid on then 24hrs on low.don't forget to get your joint up to room temp before putting it in the s/c.

Last edited:

i brought a 2.108kg joint of silverside for one of our Christmas meat's and was wondering if it fine was to do in the slow cooking and how long? thats all.
Sometimes silverside has been salted (it seems to depend where in the B.Isles you are). If it has been you may need to pre-soak it - ask the butcher who sold it to you.

Welcome to DC, sam.

I had to look up the American translation for silverside. Here it's called bottom round. Harry's right on in how to handle it.

Sometimes silverside has been salted (it seems to depend where in the B.Isles you are). If it has been you may need to pre-soak it - ask the butcher who sold it to you.

I brought it from asda there got a bunch of diff cuts, rightly or wrongly being sold as roasting joints.

Welcome to DC, sam.

I had to look up the American translation for silverside. Here it's called bottom round. Harry's right on in how to handle it.

I had to also....the first image was of a tiny fish. I thought...why the hail would they be slow cooking a minnow? :)

I had to also....the first image was of a tiny fish. I thought...why the hail would they be slow cooking a minnow? :)

Me too. As a diver, what we call silversides are the large schools of very small, bright silver fish that can be found in the coral canyons on many shallow reefs. They dip and swirl as a school and are fascinating to watch, but would not work well in a slow cooker.

silverside is fine in the slow cooker.if i were cooking it i would make up a "christmas"dry rub(incorporate ground bay leaf,ground cloves,ground nutmeg,ground cinnamon,ground/dried orange peel & ground star anise into the "usual supects"(paprika,garlic,salt,pepper,chilli,brown sugar etc etc)).rub it evenly over the meat & let the meat marinate in the spices,in the fridge,overnight.put some thickly sliced onions in the base of the s/c as a trivet then put the meat & any liquid drawn from the meat,by the spices,in the s/c BUT DON'T ADD ANY ADDITIONAL LIQUID.plenty will come out of the meat during cooking which you can use as a base for gravy or dipping sauce.lid on then 24hrs on low.don't forget to get your joint up to room temp before putting it in the s/c.

How much would you put in of each if its not to much trouble Harry?

How much would you put in of each if its not to much trouble Harry?
hard to say without knowing what your taste is with regard to chilli,salt & bay etc.let's start off with the bay leaves,cloves,nutmeg,cinnamon & anise.these are powerful flavours that can overpower,so i would go for a teaspoon of each.garlic & chilli?that's up to you,only you know how much you like garlic & heat.salt & black pepper?i would go for a dessert spoon of each.smoked paprika & brown sugar?tablespoon of each.i would also add a heaped teaspoon of ground cumin,ground ginger & the same of ground black cardamom seeds if you can find them.the cumin has a warm citrus flavour & the cardamom has a smokey,minty type flavour.
good luck & let us know how it goes mate!!

Last edited:
happy to help sam!!at the end of the day it's your food/your choice.if you want more heat,add more chilli.if you like it sweeter add more sugar & less salt,etc etc etc.up to you mate,good luck!!

Thank's for all the info n stuff Harry,we had it Christmas eve at a get together everyone thought it was bloody lovely!!

Thank's for all the info n stuff Harry,we had it Christmas eve at a get together everyone thought it was bloody lovely!!
glad you & yours enjoyed it sam & very kind of you to let me know too,thank you:)!!
that's what we are all here for mate,happy to help anytime,just ask away:chef:!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom