"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: england
Posts: 6
Silverside ok to do in slow cooker?/how long

well i'm new here so first hi! lol.

i brought a 2.108kg joint of silverside for one of our Christmas meat's and was wondering if it fine was to do in the slow cooking and how long? thats all.

__________________

sam8819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
good morning & welcome from manchester,sam.
silverside is fine in the slow cooker.if i were cooking it i would make up a "christmas"dry rub(incorporate ground bay leaf,ground cloves,ground nutmeg,ground cinnamon,ground/dried orange peel & ground star anise into the "usual supects"(paprika,garlic,salt,pepper,chilli,brown sugar etc etc)).rub it evenly over the meat & let the meat marinate in the spices,in the fridge,overnight.put some thickly sliced onions in the base of the s/c as a trivet then put the meat & any liquid drawn from the meat,by the spices,in the s/c BUT DON'T ADD ANY ADDITIONAL LIQUID.plenty will come out of the meat during cooking which you can use as a base for gravy or dipping sauce.lid on then 24hrs on low.don't forget to get your joint up to room temp before putting it in the s/c.
__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: england
Posts: 6
Sound's lovely!! thank's.
sam8819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam8819 View Post
Sound's lovely!! thank's.
pleasure,sam.i have cooked brisket this way.it's rather tasty & "fall apart" tender too!!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam8819 View Post
well i'm new here so first hi! lol.

i brought a 2.108kg joint of silverside for one of our Christmas meat's and was wondering if it fine was to do in the slow cooking and how long? thats all.
Sometimes silverside has been salted (it seems to depend where in the B.Isles you are). If it has been you may need to pre-soak it - ask the butcher who sold it to you.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam8819 View Post
well i'm new here so first hi! lol.

i brought a 2.108kg joint of silverside for one of our Christmas meat's and was wondering if it fine was to do in the slow cooking and how long? thats all.
Welcome to DC, sam.

I had to look up the American translation for silverside. Here it's called bottom round. Harry's right on in how to handle it.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: england
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Sometimes silverside has been salted (it seems to depend where in the B.Isles you are). If it has been you may need to pre-soak it - ask the butcher who sold it to you.
I brought it from asda there got a bunch of diff cuts, rightly or wrongly being sold as roasting joints.
sam8819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Macgyver1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Welcome to DC, sam.

I had to look up the American translation for silverside. Here it's called bottom round. Harry's right on in how to handle it.

I had to also....the first image was of a tiny fish. I thought...why the hail would they be slow cooking a minnow? :)
Macgyver1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver1968 View Post
I had to also....the first image was of a tiny fish. I thought...why the hail would they be slow cooking a minnow? :)
Me too. As a diver, what we call silversides are the large schools of very small, bright silver fish that can be found in the coral canyons on many shallow reefs. They dip and swirl as a school and are fascinating to watch, but would not work well in a slow cooker.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam8819 View Post
I brought it from asda there got a bunch of diff cuts, rightly or wrongly being sold as roasting joints.
don't worry about it sam.it won't be salted.silverside is like brisket,a long,low temp,slow roasting joint.
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Senior Cook
 
Macgyver1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 207
I used to roast joints in my 20's....and they made me long and slow.
Macgyver1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver1968 View Post
I used to roast joints in my 20's....and they made me long and slow.
me too,wore me fingers to points rolling them.........
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: england
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
good morning & welcome from manchester,sam.
silverside is fine in the slow cooker.if i were cooking it i would make up a "christmas"dry rub(incorporate ground bay leaf,ground cloves,ground nutmeg,ground cinnamon,ground/dried orange peel & ground star anise into the "usual supects"(paprika,garlic,salt,pepper,chilli,brown sugar etc etc)).rub it evenly over the meat & let the meat marinate in the spices,in the fridge,overnight.put some thickly sliced onions in the base of the s/c as a trivet then put the meat & any liquid drawn from the meat,by the spices,in the s/c BUT DON'T ADD ANY ADDITIONAL LIQUID.plenty will come out of the meat during cooking which you can use as a base for gravy or dipping sauce.lid on then 24hrs on low.don't forget to get your joint up to room temp before putting it in the s/c.
How much would you put in of each if its not to much trouble Harry?
sam8819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
good morning & welcome from manchester,sam.
silverside is fine in the slow cooker.if i were cooking it i would make up a "christmas"dry rub(incorporate ground bay leaf,ground cloves,ground nutmeg,ground cinnamon,ground/dried orange peel & ground star anise into the "usual supects"(paprika,garlic,salt,pepper,chilli,brown sugar etc etc)).rub it evenly over the meat & let the meat marinate in the spices,in the fridge,overnight.put some thickly sliced onions in the base of the s/c as a trivet then put the meat & any liquid drawn from the meat,by the spices,in the s/c BUT DON'T ADD ANY ADDITIONAL LIQUID.plenty will come out of the meat during cooking which you can use as a base for gravy or dipping sauce.lid on then 24hrs on low.don't forget to get your joint up to room temp before putting it in the s/c.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam8819 View Post
How much would you put in of each if its not to much trouble Harry?
hard to say without knowing what your taste is with regard to chilli,salt & bay etc.let's start off with the bay leaves,cloves,nutmeg,cinnamon & anise.these are powerful flavours that can overpower,so i would go for a teaspoon of each.garlic & chilli?that's up to you,only you know how much you like garlic & heat.salt & black pepper?i would go for a dessert spoon of each.smoked paprika & brown sugar?tablespoon of each.i would also add a heaped teaspoon of ground cumin,ground ginger & the same of ground black cardamom seeds if you can find them.the cumin has a warm citrus flavour & the cardamom has a smokey,minty type flavour.
good luck & let us know how it goes mate!!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: england
Posts: 6
Wow!Thank you very much!! Harry. will do.
sam8819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam8819 View Post
Wow!Thank you very much!! Harry. will do.
happy to help sam!!at the end of the day it's your food/your choice.if you want more heat,add more chilli.if you like it sweeter add more sugar & less salt,etc etc etc.up to you mate,good luck!!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: england
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
happy to help sam!!at the end of the day it's your food/your choice.if you want more heat,add more chilli.if you like it sweeter add more sugar & less salt,etc etc etc.up to you mate,good luck!!
Thank's for all the info n stuff Harry,we had it Christmas eve at a get together everyone thought it was bloody lovely!!
sam8819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam8819 View Post
Thank's for all the info n stuff Harry,we had it Christmas eve at a get together everyone thought it was bloody lovely!!
glad you & yours enjoyed it sam & very kind of you to let me know too,thank you!!
that's what we are all here for mate,happy to help anytime,just ask away!!
__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cook, slow cooker

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×