Similar but different items

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the difference between red, green, and yellow bell peppers besides the color?

What does one usually use red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, cider vinegar, and distilled vinegar for?

Why would one prefer a red, white, or yellow onion?

Has anyone got a good list comparing potato types? How about tomatoes?

What is the difference between red, green, and yellow bell peppers besides the color?
Vitamin and mineral content is different
What does one usually use red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, cider vinegar, and distilled vinegar for?
drinking, cooking, baking, canning, brining, pickling, sanitizing, cleaning, and about 900+ other uses.
Taste and texture, cooked or raw

Green peppers are unripe peppers of another color; that's why red, yellow, etc., peppers are so much more expensive.

I like red-wine vinegar on green salads and caprese salad. White-wine vinegar is milder; I often use it for marinades. Cider vinegar is often used in cole slaw, and distilled vinegar is used for lots of things; it has a sharper flavor than the others.

I use yellow onions for most uses; I think red onions have a sharper flavor, more bite, and I don't really enjoy that flavor. I might be imagining this, but I think white onions make my eyes hurt more when I cut them.

mcnerd gave you some good links there. HTH.

I almost all the instances you reference, the difference is taste. Peppers, vinegars, onions - all about the differences in taste.

Potatoes and tomatoes also differ in taste but also have texture differences. Different potatoes will be more or less starchy so are better suited for one type of recipe over another.

Peppers? I suggest you buy one of each and taste them. The flavor is very very different! And if you roast them the flavor is different still.

Onions: White are sharpest, I think, and I usually only use those if they are going to be cooked. Red and yellow I choose between for color. Sweet onions, Walla Walla or Vidalia are so mild they can be used without any cooking.

Potatoes - the flavors and textures vary tremendously! You don't want to try making nice fluffy mashed potatoes with yellow fingerlings or red potatoes - russets are the best but in potatoe salad fingerlings or reds hold up much better than russets.

Vinegars I choose for their flavor and color. Distilled is most utilitarian and doesn't impart any other flavor than sour but wine vinegars and berry vinegars impart wonderful flavors to whatever they're added.

Great question, though!

Red pepprs have more vitamins then their green or yellow counterparts iirc. i think they hve enough vit c for a whole day but i could be wrong.

in general, diff colors mean diff nutrients

Basically - flavor. As for the comments about nutrients - that also depends on the variety and the growing conditions (location, soil, temperature, moisture, etc.) Since capsicums are used primarily for their color or flavor - I wouldn't worry about the minor differences in nutritional values. You can also find similar nutritional variations between varities and growing conditions of onions - and other stuff.

Again - the answer is flavor, unless you're talking about canning/pickling and then one or another might be specified for their known pH level or color.

Again - flavor. I use yellow onions for everyday cooking ... if I want a little sharper flavor I will use white (although some people find white onions to be milder than yellow). I generally reserve red onions for applications where I want a raw onion flavor (a slice on a burger, in potato or pea salad, etc.) - but that is not a hard and fast rule because I prefer white or yellow raw onion to finish off Mexican/Tex-Mex inspired dishes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom