"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #31
Master Chef

For a change of pace, try using fruity sherberts with like flavored soda-pop for your floats, or try Cream Soda with vanilla ice cream. Of course, my go-to favorite is and iced A&W glass, with A&W Root Beer, and vanilla ice cream. It's hard to beat.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texherp View Post
Open up a can of sweetened condensed milk and grab a spoon!
How odd that I've never tried that. The only way I've had the milk of that form is mixed with jello and frozen into small cups. It's awesome that way!

I'm going to pick up a can of it and try it right from the can!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Graham crackers with Hershey's chocolate syrup drizzled on them.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
during this time of crazy hot weather i've been revisiting a childhood favorite treat--i had quite forgotten about it for many years: we called it an ice cream float--made in a large, tall glass, like for iced tea maybe, plop a scoop or two (or 3) of ice cream - vanilla is best for this, then pour soda, stirring the ice cream all the while, til your glass is full and frothy on top. we usually used ginger ale or 7-up (that dates this float and me doesn't it), but cola and root beer were favorites too. the ice cream float was really a magical kind of treat, with the surprising mixtures of sweet froth, ice cream and soda--any soda, really. in my day this was the poor man's ice cream soda or malt. in today's day, they are just as good as i remembered them to be....
These are great made with chocolate milk instead of soda pop!

The soda made with 7 up and vanilla ice cream used to be called a Snow White in our area. They also used to make a Purple Cow with grape soda.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
a couple of nights ago, i had vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries sliced on it. it really hit the spot. it set me to wondering what the rest of you do for a simple , simple but delicious dessert.

nothing fancy, remember.

what a great little thread you came up with here, babetoo. as you can see, it really took off like a rocket. lots of good ideas for the sweet tooth here. lots of people will be having their "simple" pleasures tonight--even some of those who said they weren't exactly dessert-minded folk, i'll bet....
Old 07-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
during this time of crazy hot weather i've been revisiting a childhood favorite treat--i had quite forgotten about it for many years: we called it an ice cream float--made in a large, tall glass, like for iced tea maybe, plop a scoop or two (or 3) of ice cream - vanilla is best for this, then pour soda, stirring the ice cream all the while, til your glass is full and frothy on top. we usually used ginger ale or 7-up (that dates this float and me doesn't it), but cola and root beer were favorites too. the ice cream float was really a magical kind of treat, with the surprising mixtures of sweet froth, ice cream and soda--any soda, really. in my day this was the poor man's ice cream soda or malt. in today's day, they are just as good as i remembered them to be....
I like to make mine with Orange Crush Soda. YUMMY
Old 07-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Forgot how good that is! Or caramel, or chocolate syrup...

Lime or coke floats, from many years ago. Will have to get some ice cream!

What kind of soda do you use?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1

What kind of soda do you use?
An old drugstore, many years ago in Ontario, served them. My mom had them as a kid and carried on the tradition with us. I really am not sure, they were wonderful! Vanilla ice cream, seltzer, and sweet lime syrup, I think. The old soda jerk stuff.

Orange Crush sounds really good!
Old 07-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by texherp View Post
Open up a can of sweetened condensed milk and grab a spoon!
I could never figure out why I craved that flavor...my Mom told me my Aunt used to eat it that way and when I came along she opened 2 cans...we have a picture of the two of us enjoying a can. I still crave it on occasion, but it's too sweet.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:38 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
I love floats. Haven't had a single summer go by where I haven't had at least one. Probably one of my favorite simple deserts.