Simple recipes for beginners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cubs Win

Assistant Cook
I am 14 years old and my parents will be leaving for a few days. What are some healthy and delicious meals that are easy for a beginner to make? I need to make some meals for my older brothers.

Mexican, Italian, Japanese, etc. I just need SIMPLE meals. Thanks!

mexican- burritos and tacos are the easiest things. just get shells and/or tortillas, add meat, beans, lettuce, cheese and tomatoes. add guacamole and salsa
chinese - boil some chicken, shred it. make some rice, add chicken to it. scramble some eggs and add that too. put some soy sauce to taste, easy and cheap.
italian- spagetti. don't have to make homemade if you don't want. there are jarred brands that are pretty good. just boil the noodles and heat the sauce, voila!

Here's healthy and easy -
In a crockpot/slow cooker: 4 chicken breasts, 1-2 carrots, peeled and cut into 3" pieces, 2-3 stalks of celery, cut into 2" pieces, ½ onion, cut into small chops, 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced (or you could use garlic powder - a couple of shakes or so),
then sprinkle some fresh pepper (like ¼-½ tsp), a small amount of salt (½ tsp or so), and about 2 tsp. of thyme seasoning. Then put in 1 bay leaf (you'll take this out before serving). Top it off with about 1 cup of chicken broth (I like Wolfgang Puck brand because it's organic and isn't full of salt, etc)

Cover and cook it EITHER on LOW for 6-7 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
Serve it with some dinner rolls and you have a tasty meal!

**If you want super-easy cleanup, use one of those Reynolds Brand Slow Cooker Liners

American Chop Suey is easy, plentiful and popular around here.

1 1/2 lbs hamburger
1 box of elbow macaroni
1 onion
1 large can of diced tomatoes

Dice the onion and sautee it in a large pan with a little oil, until the onion is translucent. Add the hamburger. When the burger is browned, add the can of tomatoes. Cook the pasta according to directions and mix all the stuff together. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder. Serve and top with parmesan cheese.

Make a tossed garden salad to go with.

Lee

mmmm I use to make that with tiny bits of fried salt pork mixed instead of hamburger, so good....made me want to make it again!

as posted in the beef area.. this is good and really simple.

Canned beef in gravy, probably 2 cans for the 3 of you. A bag of egg noodles, 8 oz. of sour cream.

Cook the noodles as on the package. Drain add the beef and gravy from the can(s) and bring up to temperature. Add some black pepper if desired. When that is hot, stir in the sour cream and serve. One pot, very simple and tasty.
-----------------------------

Grilled cheese and tomato soup is tough to beat. For a change, use hot pepper cheese and tomato bisque soup.

----------------------------------

Take a boneless ham, place on a pan. Pour a coke over it and toss in the oven at 325. Baste every 1/2 hour. Let it bake for a 1 1/2 hours. Let it set while heating up some corn with peppers(frozen or canned), a little salad with dressing then slice the ham... you have a seriously nice meal.

Back
Top Bottom