"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-01-2011, 05:07 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I also watched some videos on YouTube of Jamie Oliver and Alton Brown. Jamie Oliver only cooked his steak on a grill pan for about 2 minutes a side, and he had a nice medium steak. That sorta confused me into thinking I could grill up my steaks in a short time... 'cause his steaks looked pretty thick. It looked like they were at least an inch thick, maybe even an inch and a 1/2 when they were raw. After he started cooking, they looked a lot thinner... maybe it was an optical illusion.

Alton Brown seared his steak 30 seconds a side on a cast iron skillet, and then he tossed it in the over for 4 minutes at 500 degrees. That was all, and the steak looked pretty thick like mine.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush View Post
Thanks, I heard reverse-searing is bad, because the whole point of searing, is to lock in the juices. In the past, I didn't know this. I always thought searing was for presentation, and thus the order didn't matter...
That statement should be posted in the wives' tales thread It's a common belief though.
As long as you were happy with your steaks, that's all that matters

Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That statement should be posted in the wives' tales thread It's a common belief though.
As long as you were happy with your steaks, that's all that matters
Sorry, I'm new to cooking, so I tend to believe what TV chefs tell me. So you're saying Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsay, and the Bill Nye of Culinary Science Alton Brown are all frauds for pepetuating the theory that searing the steak first, helps lock in the juices?
Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I can't speak for anyone but me, and cooking a thick steak using the reverse sear method provides me with a juicy steak without that "layered" look when cut open. Cooks Illustrated endorses it and Alton Brown debunked the theory that searing meat holds in juices on one of his shows (to throw out a name you mentioned).
I do cook thinner steaks hot and fast, but anything thick, in the range that you mentioned, is always cooked reverse sear because it allows more latitude trying to get it to the correct doneness. Go ahead, Google it, lol. There are many methods and this is one of them.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I can't speak for anyone but me, and cooking a thick steak using the reverse sear method provides me with a juicy steak without that "layered" look when cut open. Cooks Illustrated endorses it and Alton Brown debunked the theory that searing meat holds in juices on one of his shows (to throw out a name you mentioned).
I do cook thinner steaks hot and fast, but anything thick, in the range that you mentioned, is always cooked reverse sear because it allows more latitude trying to get it to the correct doneness. Go ahead, Google it, lol. There are many methods and this is one of them.

Oh I see. I watched an episode on YouTube, and he talked about developing the crust. I went back, and he never mentions the purpose of developing the crust. I guess I just subconsciously associated it with locking in the juices, as it seemed like common knowledge to me. Oops. And this is why I have so much to learn from you guys. Thank you so much!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush View Post
Oh I see. I watched an episode on YouTube, and he talked about developing the crust. I went back, and he never mentions the purpose of developing the crust. I guess I just subconsciously associated it with locking in the juices, as it seemed like common knowledge to me. Oops. And this is why I have so much to learn from you guys. Thank you so much!
We're all learning as we go. Well, unless you know it all and aren't open to new ideas I'm always open to new methods and am glad I tried reverse searing a while back. All you can do is give it a go and see if it works for you.
And I'm pretty sure everyone at one time or another thought searing meat was to lock in the juices. You are not alone. I used to think so.

Tags
cook, grill