Sirloin tip roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
I will be cooking this for Christmas. I keep finding a recipe that calls for cooking it at 500° FOR 9-10 minutes per pound and then resting in the oven for another 9-10 minutes per pound. Supposed to be good...about medium rare. Has anyone tried this? How would you cook this cut?

My posts keep disappearing from the recent topics. Am I doing something wrong?

I will be cooking this for Christmas. I keep finding a recipe that calls for cooking it at 500° FOR 9-10 minutes per pound and then resting in the oven for another 9-10 minutes per pound. Supposed to be good...about medium rare. Has anyone tried this? How would you cook this cut?

I see your post. Wonder if it's some setting thing?

It disappeared again...had do do a search to find it. Anyone ever cook a roast at this temp?

You did not mention how thick it was. If you are shooting for medium rare, or any specific doness, I would suggest an internal temp probe and remember to stop about 5-10 degrees short of your target and tent it.

Sirloin tip is not a very tender cut. Are you certain you want to roast it?

Craig told us the way to do this was to preheat the oven to 500°F.
Roast meat at 500° for 5 minutes, then turn down the temp to 200° and continue to roast 1 hour per pound.
DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR.

I have never done this, but plan to try. So please let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Okay now I really don't know how best to cook this. But if Craig said it maybe I better listen.

I have done the 500F for a few minutes then super low for a short while then rest and I have had great success.

The times depend on how large your roast is.

Just reporting back

Let the roast warm on the counter for an hour. Started the roast at 500° for about 10 minutes after rubbing it with Montreal steak seasoning and oil. Turned it down to 200 degrees for one hour per pound. Let it rest for 10 minutes. The results were great except that I should have rested it a little longer. I felt it lost more juices than I would have liked. All in all I would use this method again.

Let the roast warm on the counter for an hour. Started the roast at 500° for about 10 minutes after rubbing it with Montreal steak seasoning and oil. Turned it down to 200 degrees for one hour per pound. Let it rest for 10 minutes. The results were great except that I should have rested it a little longer. I felt it lost more juices than I would have liked. All in all I would use this method again.

Craig said to start it at 500° for 5 minutes, not 10 minutes.
Maybe thats why it was not as juicy? I don't know, but he did say 5 minutes.

The reason I really listened to his post was he told us he learned this from a professional chef or steak house. Something to that degree.
For them to be able to serve rare to well done prime rib at request requires some thought.
It seems they cook all of the prime ribs rare and then adjust each serving to the customers requirement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom