"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Skewered Drumsticks

Hi everyone. A few months ago, I was eating at a rodizio and one thing that really stuck out was that one of the meets was some sort of breaded drumstick that was cool skewered. I would really like to make something like this, so I was wondering if you guys could point me to a recipe? Or could I take basically any chicken recipe and just bake it skewered?
Thank you!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Master Chef

Was this a real drumstick, with bones? Or maybe it was a mock drumstick, made from chopped and shaped chicken. Let us know a little more about what you ate, and we can then do a better job of pointing you in the right direction.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks for your extremely quick reply!
this was a whole drumstick. It had the bone and everything on it.

One of my theories behind this is that they made/fried the drumstick and THEN they just skewered it right before serving. Is it uncommon to skewer drumsticks?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

I've never seen skewered drumsticks. But if you are using a rotisserie, and have drumsticks to cook, why not. Don't have time to list techniques or flavors/seasonings right now. But others will quickly take up where I left off.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Master Chef

I've skewered several pieces of whole chicken wings together for the ease of turning them over when grilling.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

There isn't much to sticking a drumstick on a skewer and grilling it. I suspect the drumsticks were seasoned in some way before cooking. Discovering that seasoning mix will be the challenge.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Master Chef

Were the drumsticks coated with flour, or cornmeal, and seasoned, or just cooked with seasonings.

If it was the former, You might try this:
Combine 1 cup of all purpose or whole wheat flour with:
2 tsp. granulated garlic
3/4 tsp. crushed rosemary
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. granulated onion
1 tbs. black pepper
2 tbs. chicken soup base
1 tsp. rubbed sage
1/2 tsp. dried Thyme
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
Whisk until all is completely mixed. Dredge the drumsticks in the seasioned flour mixture, and place on your skewers. Bake, broil, or barbecue until the meat reaches a temperature of 160' F. and the skin is crispy.

If the meat was simply seasoned, try a combination of rosemary, salt, black pepper, granilated garlic, and rubbed sage. Mix them together in a bowl, and dust them all onto the chicken. Skewer and bake, broil, or barbecue the same as above.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north