Skewered Drumsticks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheLogger

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone. A few months ago, I was eating at a rodizio and one thing that really stuck out was that one of the meets was some sort of breaded drumstick that was cool skewered. I would really like to make something like this, so I was wondering if you guys could point me to a recipe? Or could I take basically any chicken recipe and just bake it skewered?
Thank you!

Was this a real drumstick, with bones? Or maybe it was a mock drumstick, made from chopped and shaped chicken. Let us know a little more about what you ate, and we can then do a better job of pointing you in the right direction.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks for your extremely quick reply!
this was a whole drumstick. It had the bone and everything on it.

One of my theories behind this is that they made/fried the drumstick and THEN they just skewered it right before serving. Is it uncommon to skewer drumsticks?

I've never seen skewered drumsticks. But if you are using a rotisserie, and have drumsticks to cook, why not. Don't have time to list techniques or flavors/seasonings right now. But others will quickly take up where I left off.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

There isn't much to sticking a drumstick on a skewer and grilling it. I suspect the drumsticks were seasoned in some way before cooking. Discovering that seasoning mix will be the challenge.

Were the drumsticks coated with flour, or cornmeal, and seasoned, or just cooked with seasonings.

If it was the former, You might try this:
Combine 1 cup of all purpose or whole wheat flour with:
2 tsp. granulated garlic
3/4 tsp. crushed rosemary
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. granulated onion
1 tbs. black pepper
2 tbs. chicken soup base
1 tsp. rubbed sage
1/2 tsp. dried Thyme
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
Whisk until all is completely mixed. Dredge the drumsticks in the seasioned flour mixture, and place on your skewers. Bake, broil, or barbecue until the meat reaches a temperature of 160' F. and the skin is crispy.

If the meat was simply seasoned, try a combination of rosemary, salt, black pepper, granilated garlic, and rubbed sage. Mix them together in a bowl, and dust them all onto the chicken. Skewer and bake, broil, or barbecue the same as above.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north

Back
Top Bottom