Skim the Foam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagut

Head Chef
I'm making ham stock today. It's time to clear out the freezer of all those bit's and pieces a cheap/frugal person like me has saved. ;)

But most stock/broth recipe's advise to skim the foam developed while bringing the pot up to temp.

If I'm feeling energetic then I do. When I'm feeling lazy I don't worry about it.

I haven't noticed a taste difference between the times I do or don't so I began to wonder. :rolleyes:

Why???

Anyone of you great folks know the science behind skimming?

Is it for the appearance or texture of the stock?

And while I'm here....

Merry Christmas to each and everyone. :D

Attachments

• fun4.jpg
    fun4.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 237
Yes, it's for appearance and texture. Skimming the foam removes impurities and some fat from the stock, which makes it less cloudy at the end. I usually skim it a few times during the first 10 minutes or so because I don't like the look of it. It doesn't affect the flavor, though.

Merry Christmas to you, too!

Yes, I figured appearance and texture GG.

But what I'd like to know is the why. I'd like to know the reason/science behind it.

How much and how is the texture and appearance changed?

What's removed by skimming and does that make it worth the effort?

From what I've removed when I bother there doesn't seem to be much except a tiny bit of fat.

Impurities don't seem to be many in what I strain.

On a side note. What do you good folks use to skim the foam?

A slotted spoon works for me. :chef:

Yes, I figured appearance and texture GG.

But what I'd like to know is the why. I'd like to know the reason/science behind it.

How much and how is the texture and appearance changed?

What's removed by skimming and does that make it worth the effort?

From what I've removed when I bother there doesn't seem to be much except a tiny bit of fat.

Impurities don't seem to be many in what I strain.

On a side note. What do you good folks use to skim the foam?

A slotted spoon works for me. :chef:

The only stock I make as a rule is chicken or a mix of chicken and turkey, and I do skim shortly after the pot comes up to simmering temp. I just use one of my large kitchen spoons. I may get a little of the liquid along with it, but not enough to matter.

I don't use a cheesecloth filter with my stock like some do, just use a fine screen sieve to strain out the chunks and call it good. I actually use a spider to fish out and discard the big pieces of veggies, meat and bones before I pour it through the sieve.

When you cook veggies, meats and bones in water, loose bits of fat, protein and collagen that aren't completely dissolved float to the surface. If you don't skim them off, they get suspended in the liquid, from the action of boiling, making it cloudy.

In culinary school, we were taught to skim and then, when the simmering was done, to strain the stock through a strainer and then through a chinois to make it as clear as possible. Whether it's worth the effort is personal preference.

I don't go that far. I skim with a large slotted spoon.

Last edited:
I sometimes skim. I strain the cooked and reduced stock through a men's handkerchief lining a strainer. Easier to work with than cheesecloth. Then I just wash it with dish towels and dish cloths and reuse. If clarity is an issue, I can clarify the stock.

Yes Yuck Mr. Charlie. :LOL:

I'm not suggesting not getting out the unwanted particles.

I was just wondering what skimming really accomplishes.

From what I've skimmed off it doesn't amount to much. Seems to be mostly fat. And not very much at that.

Using a strainer gets most if the yuckies.

I usually strain and then put the results into the fridge overnight.
The fat and assorted yuckies float to the top and solidify.
Easy to remove.
The other yuckies and particles settle to the bottom.
I carefully ladle off what's in between.

I haven't gone to the effort of using a cloth to filter my stocks.
But that might be because I don't like doing laundry. ;)

Jeff Smith recommended to bring up to boil, allow foam to gather, then pour out all the liquid through a strainer basket, rinse off real good and refill the pot with water.

I found that if I only allow the stock to come to a very low simmer, I get no foam and yukkies. It is when I let it come to full boil that the scum comes to the top. Then when I strain it, I use a coffee filter. It does takes longer than using a cheesecloth, but I just never remember to buy one. I NEVER forget to get my coffee filters. With or without scum, I do strain it and I get a clear broth. :angel:

Yes Yuck Mr. Charlie. :LOL:

I'm not suggesting not getting out the unwanted particles.

I was just wondering what skimming really accomplishes.

From what I've skimmed off it doesn't amount to much. Seems to be mostly fat. And not very much at that.

Using a strainer gets most if the yuckies.

I usually strain and then put the results into the fridge overnight.
The fat and assorted yuckies float to the top and solidify.
Easy to remove.
The other yuckies and particles settle to the bottom.
I carefully ladle off what's in between.

I haven't gone to the effort of using a cloth to filter my stocks.
But that might be because I don't like doing laundry. ;)

If you are straining you are accompanying the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

If you are straining you are accompanying the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Thank you Charlie.

You've confirmed my belief.

Skimming is essentially straining. :)

By straining I'm accomplishing the same as skimming if only at a later time.

Addie, I don't boil my stock. I only bring it up to a simmer.
Something I read about boiling it and the fat incorporation chemistry makes me do this.
In the early stages I do get some foam.
And as in all aspects of life there are always yuckies. ;)
Seems you use a finer filter then I by using a coffee filter but I guess that's a clarity/ texture issue.

Mr. Bones, I never understood pouring off the flavor you are attempting to capture but I'm always willing to learn.
My only question is why?
What does it do to enhance the taste or texture?

Thanks for the replies folks.
I think I'll forgo the skimming in the future but I will experiment with the different filtration methods.

I skim a bit, strain (usually through a fine mesh colander, maybe with a coffee filter), refrigerate, then remove the top layer of solidified fat if there is any.

I've also learned to simmer, not boil, when I make stock.

Last edited:
I just came across this article on making pork stock for tonkotsu ramen, where the goal is to make a cloudy stock with fat and minerals emulsified into the liquid, for extra flavor. The author of this column, Kenji Lopez-Alt of The Food Lab, also describes the science of the method: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/02/how-to-make-tonkotsu-ramen-broth-at-home-recipe.html

Of course, the clear stock method is French, so this is an interesting example of how Asians and Westerners have different food preferences.

I have two skimmers. One has holes like a colander, the other has a fine mesh like a fine sieve. I use the first if I don't want to deal with the issues of thoroughly cleaning the second. :LOL: Depending on what the stock will be used for (and to whom it will be served) decides how "clean" I want the broth.

...The author of this column, Kenji Lopez-Alt of The Food Lab, also describes the science of the method: The Food Lab: How to Make Tonkotsu Ramen Broth at Home | Serious Eats...
I know if I click I'll be down the rabbit hole. Must. Resist. Clicking. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom