Slow cooker to dutch oven conversions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
For Christmas I received 2 Staub dutch ovens and as a newbie roaster user I have some questions:

1.If you are using a slow cooker recipe, what would the equivalent oven temp be?

2. Once food is cooked and the cast iron pot is hot, how long will food stay warm after removing from the oven. As an example if I cooked beef stew in the oven and then wanted to take the dish to a potluck.

3. My new gear is porcelain coated cast iron. Should I worry about chipping?

4. How important is the size of the pan relative to the volume of the contents?

1. 350ºF is always a safe bet.

2. Not sure what the most time would be. You should be able to get an hour out of it and still have it hot enough for service. This depends on how full the pot is. A fuller pot will cool more slowly.

3. Yes. These pots aren't usually delicate but they can chip. I dropped my LeCrueset French oven on my stovetop and the stove top chipped. The pot as fine.

4. See #2 above. In general, the pot should be ½ to ¾ full so the meats are mostly or fully submerged.

How about cooking at 200~250º for longer hours to simulate a slow cooker?

Adios, Dirk

1.If you are using a slow cooker recipe, what would the equivalent oven temp be?
I have a Cuisinart Cook Central Multicooker, and according to the manual, slow cook high is 212 F, slow cook low is 200 F. From what I've read, slow cooker temperatures can vary between manufacturers.

If it was me, I would find similar recipes and follow the time and temperature settings to get in the ballpark. That's what I do with my pressure cooker.

I use my LeCruset DOs as slow cookers, and I usually set the oven around 250 for a long, slow cook.

As for durability, they are pretty tough. I've never dropped one, but I don't baby them, either.

My DOs keep food hot for quite a long while after removing from the heat -- oven or stovetop. The tough part about using one to take in the car is avoiding spillage, but the same is true for most crock pots.

Since I have three different sizes, I like to chose the one that will be about 2/3 full, or a bit more.

CD

I look on line for an oven recipe that is similar to the slow cooker recipe, and use that as a guide. Anywhere from 250F to 325-350, time accordingly. If converting a recipe, write down the adaptations so you remember what worked the next time you recreate the dish. The thing I like is you can easily go stove top to oven.

When transporting, I wrap in two cotton dish towels and tie knots on top of the lid. Keeps lid tight, prevents spilling and the food stays warm. If you want it to be hot out of the oven, then wrap in layers of newspapers and place a couple folded bath towels in the bottom of a cooler. Don't remove the cooler lid until ready to serve. We do the dish towel thing even for pyrex casseroles when transporting. Remember to tuck your towels away when you undo them. I have klepto relatives.

None of my DO's are porcelain coated, just don't drop the pot or even the lid on your toe.

For Christmas I received 2 Staub dutch ovens and as a newbie roaster user I have some questions...
Would one of those questions be "can I gift one of them to Cooking Goddess?" If so, yes, please! Seriously, congratulations. Nice gifts.

(3) I love my Staub. Therefore, I view it as being a big more durable than my Le Creuset. Either of them are definitely more durable than my enameled Lodge.

I find myself making a lot of recipes top-of-stove in my DOs that might have been made in a slow cooker or oven. If you are at home while cooking, you might want to try cooking a recipe on the burner rather than in the oven.

Andy, I hope that was porcelain that chipped and not a glass-topped surface. :ermm:

Would one of those questions be "can I gift one of them to Cooking Goddess?" If so, yes, please! Seriously, congratulations. Nice gifts.

(3) I love my Staub. Therefore, I view it as being a big more durable than my Le Creuset. Either of them are definitely more durable than my enameled Lodge.

I find myself making a lot of recipes top-of-stove in my DOs that might have been made in a slow cooker or oven. If you are at home while cooking, you might want to try cooking a recipe on the burner rather than in the oven.

Andy, I hope that was porcelain that chipped and not a glass-topped surface. :ermm:

It is my understanding that Lodge enameled cast iron is made in China, not in the USA like their uncoated cast iron. That could be the problem with your enameled Lodge.

I use my LeCruset DOs on the cooktop, and in the oven. The only advantage I have found to using it in the oven is for long, slow cooks. It seems to work better as a crock-pot replacement in the oven, for me. The heat is coming from every side in the oven.

CD

I knew that when I bought it, casey. But it was big and inexpensive - the requirements at the time. Using my Discover points and buying it on Amazon ended up costing me zero real money. It's good enough, but I'm ditching it (well, giving it to our daughter) whenif we move, and replacing it with a same-sized (6-quart) Staub. Better make a good profit on the sale of this house...

CG it is a gas stove with a porcelainized top.

When I cook braises and stews in my LeC, the recipes typically call for an oven temperature of 300ºF to 350ºF.

It is my understanding that Lodge enameled cast iron is made in China, not in the USA like their uncoated cast iron. That could be the problem with your enameled Lodge.

I use my LeCruset DOs on the cooktop, and in the oven. The only advantage I have found to using it in the oven is for long, slow cooks. It seems to work better as a crock-pot replacement in the oven, for me. The heat is coming from every side in the oven.

CD

My no name 6 qt enameled dutch oven was made in China... doesn't bother me at all. It does the job just fine and only cost $39.95 at Sam's Club. I've been using it for 15 years, from Denver to the Bahamas and back to NE Colorado now. Still a workhorse. I also have a 9 qt DO that's branded by Mario Batali. Doesn't get quite as much use because I don't need the bigger size as often, but I've had that one even longer than the 6 qt.

My no name 6 qt enameled dutch oven was made in China... doesn't bother me at all. It does the job just fine and only cost $39.95 at Sam's Club. I've been using it for 15 years, from Denver to the Bahamas and back to NE Colorado now. Still a workhorse. I also have a 9 qt DO that's branded by Mario Batali. Doesn't get quite as much use because I don't need the bigger size as often, but I've had that one even longer than the 6 qt.

I mentioned it because Lodge has a reputation for quality products, made in the USA. It would be easy to assume that, since it carries the Lodge name, that the coated CI is also made in the USA, and is of the highest quality.

CD

I couldn't agree more, Rick. Designer enameled CI cookware doesn't impress me one bit, as you'll never convince me it will cook the same recipe better than my more frugal no name choice. Last a lifetime? I'm sure mine will do that, and if it doesn't, I'll just buy another one (or four) for a fraction of the price of the prestigious designer pot. The one I've been cooking with is like new after 10-15 years, and it's not likely I'll live another 20 years. If I do, I sure won't be lifting a big cast iron pot and someone else will be cooking for me. :LOL:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom