Slow Cookers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
I'm new to slow cookers (I recently won one in a competition :)).

Not looking for specific recipes, more tried and tested dishes that work well in slow cookers, and any favourite hints or tips.

My biggest success so far has been a Boeuf Bourgignon stew - that was really good, cooked for 6 hours and I like that the oven is free so I could make a cake too (always a bonus!). :yum:

Any ideas gratefully received. :yum:

'morning griddled quorn
if you like "pulled" pork,beef,ham.lamb etc just rub your chosen joint of meat(get's better dunn'it?)with your favourite rub/marinade chuck it in the slow cooker,NO ADDED LIQUID,lid on,on low all day,done:yum:!!
the juices in the meat will produce enough liquid for the cooking & a pretty darn good base for your gravy.....ermmm gravy:cool:

i like to quarter a few onions and put them under the meat (as harry described) to add a bit of liquid and some more flavour for the drippings.

the best dish that i make in the slow cooker utilizes the leftover bone and meat from a holiday ham to make split pea and ham soup.

i'll see if i can find the recipe.

btw, on a traffic light, what does the yellow light mean?

This is really good and super easy in the slow cooker. I first saw it in one of my slow cooker's recipe leaflets.

Pot Roasted Pork Loin

Rub boneless pork loin roast with s&p. Stab meat and insert slivers of a garlic clove in the slits. Slice an onion and put in bottom of CP. Throw in loin along with another sliced onion, a couple of bay leaves, a whole clove, 1/2 cup water and a T. of soy sauce.

Cook on low 10 hours, or on high for 5. Slice and serve. No prior browning needed, unless you want to.

Last edited:
I like a chicken recipe. I cut up some boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs (2 breasts, 3-4 thighs) into chunks about 1-1/2" and put them in my crock. Add 1 can crushed pineapple and 1 bottle Russian salad dressing. Let cook on high 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hrs. Serve over rice. Makes a nice sweet-sour type sauce. You can leave the chicken pieces whole if you want. I like to cube it up to make it easier to ladle over the rice.

Oh wow such fab ideas already! Thank you so much. I do love a big piece of meat, just need to decide what to get now for the weekend.

Jabbur - what is russian salad dressing?

Buckarella - Hmm, traffic lights you say, can't say I take much notice of them myself but I think amber means don't kill the pedestrians, finish doing your lippy first.

btw, on a traffic light, what does the yellow light mean?
i have no idea tom,but if snow is yellow it means don't eat it:ermm::ohmy::LOL:!!
look,i know i'm going to regret this but yellow means either "be prepared to go" or,if you are approaching the lights it means "be prepared to stop but if you can't stop safely due to speed and/or proximity proceed with caution"...hmmmm,ok,i get it mr smarty pants;)!!

See. Like I said. Finish your lippy. No hurry. Keep one stilleto ready and poised to go.

I have not got a clue to what you're talking about. :LOL: Translation, please?

You can use the slow cooker to make lots of caramelized onions with practically no effort. Put 3 lbs. sliced onions in the slow cooker, toss with 2 tbsp. evoo, 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt and cook on low for 10-12 hours. I think I stirred them at about the 8-hour mark. It works perfectly, and you can portion and freeze for later use in tarts, French onion soup, pierogies, etc. :)

I cant understand meself GG :)

Now that is one fabarooney idea re caramelised onions, would love to try that, how long would they keep do you think?

Oh god apart from the fact I hate chopping onions, I'll put me swimming goggles on.

Last edited:
I cant understand meself GG :)

Now that is one fabarooney idea re caramelised onions, would love to try that, how long would they keep do you think?

Oh god apart from the fact I hate chopping onions, I'll put me swimming goggles on.

They keep really well in the freezer for several months. I always light a candle and turn on the overhead fan when I'm chopping onions. It helps some :) If I remember, I'll pull out my mandolin - that makes it go a lot faster.

I'm new to slow cookers (I recently won one in a competition :)).

Not looking for specific recipes, more tried and tested dishes that work well in slow cookers, and any favourite hints or tips.

My biggest success so far has been a Boeuf Bourgignon stew - that was really good, cooked for 6 hours and I like that the oven is free so I could make a cake too (always a bonus!). :yum:

Any ideas gratefully received. :yum:

Congrats, GQ. Stews, soups & roasts (w/ vegetables) turn out well. For roasts, trim off most of the fat, & brown/sear first. I place the veggies & potatoes on top so they don't get too mushy; and add them more toward the end of cooking time. Don't add too much liquid, or everything will be soupy. Bolognese, marinara, tomato sauce are good candidates for the SC. French Dip sandwiches are another favorite.

A site I like is:

365 Days of Slow Cooking: March Madness Day 9: Slow Cooker Chicken and Mushrooms

Have fun playing with your new slow cooker.

Last edited:
GQ - Kraft makes a Russian dressing. It's tomato based and very similar to French but with a bit different flavor. I think it may have more paprika in it. I've not tried it but you could experiment and sub French for the Russian. If you can find it, Catalina salad dressing may be closer to Russian for a better substitute. Other folks make Russian dressing that is more mayo based and very similar to thousand island but you don't want that for this recipe.

Also...

Ribs come out great in the SC. Add honey teriyaki marinade and toss in some mandarin orange segments, if you like. I rearrange the ribs halfway through cooking, so everything is sauced. Prior to cooking, you can spray the pot w/ nonstick cooking spray, so foods don't burn & stick to the pot. (My pot gets very hot, & food is cooked in 4-6 hours on LOW.)

Stuffed peppers turn out well.

You can steam artichokes. Prep the chokes, add some chicken broth, garlic cloves, & lemon juice to the pot.

Salmon (seafood) is another good candidate, but needs to be watched - about 2 hours on LOW. I have some notes for "pouched" salmon w/ bok choy (in white wine). Will go through my collection to give you the general idea if you like.

Last edited:
I have not got a clue to what you're talking about. :LOL: Translation, please?

You can use the slow cooker to make lots of caramelized onions with practically no effort. Put 3 lbs. sliced onions in the slow cooker, toss with 2 tbsp. evoo, 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt and cook on low for 10-12 hours. I think I stirred them at about the 8-hour mark. It works perfectly, and you can portion and freeze for later use in tarts, French onion soup, pierogies, etc. :)
don't worry gg,for LIPPY read LIPSTICK....i'm sure lady drivers the world over are noted for going thru' at least three changes of lights whilst applying their makeup on the way to work in the morning.the stiletto is a quaint old liverpool tradition amongst said lady drivers.if you bang on the window & complain,you get the stiletto buried between your eyes.that's all.......

i was hoping that harry would have chimed in when i asked "what does a yellow traffic light mean" and answered with "slow down".

then i'd reply, "ok. whaaaaat doooooes aaaa yeeeellow liiiiight meeeeean". :rolleyes:

this was a joke in reference to slow cookers.

not funny when you have to explain it.

i was hoping that harry would have chimed in when i asked "what does a yellow traffic light mean" and answered with "slow down".

then i'd reply, "ok. whaaaaat doooooes aaaa yeeeellow liiiiight meeeeean". :rolleyes:

goodbye,close the door on your way out,don't ring us we'll ring you....NEXT!

I'm giggling, though. Seeing Jim in my head ... had to look up a video:

Slow Down - YouTube

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom