"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Slow cookers, adjust "normal" recipes?

Hello,

I'm using my slow cooler more and more now and was wondering if I need to adapt normal recipes for say a chilli or a stew for a slow cooker? Do I reduce the amount of liquid I put in to begin with or just reduce after? Does that make sense? It's been a long day at work!

Thank you

Nick

Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick85 View Post
Hello,

I'm using my slow cooler more and more now and was wondering if I need to adapt normal recipes for say a chilli or a stew for a slow cooker? Do I reduce the amount of liquid I put in to begin with or just reduce after? Does that make sense? It's been a long day at work!

Thank you

Nick
Hey Nick, welcome to DC! When cooking in a crock pot, less water is needed. That's the only change I make to most recipes. If needed, I add boiling water during the cooking cycle or after it's completed cooking.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Honey Badger

Welcome to DC :)

As Tim said less is better. Boiling water after the fact is the way to go.
Condensation from the dish that your making will drip back down into the crock. Keeping everything from burning and still cooking and keeping a roast or chicken moist.

Here's a link for some recipes, help, tips on those vessels. I love my crocks all 6, after today it will be 7..

Slow Cookers - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Best of luck.

Munky.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy

Hey Nick, welcome to DC! When cooking in a crock pot, less water is needed. That's the only change I make to most recipes. If needed, I add boiling water during the cooking cycle or after it's completed cooking.
What sort of level should u have for the liquid? 3/4 up the ingredients for say a stew? How much stock for a joint of meat? I don't have a instruction book

Nick
Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
What sort of level should u have for the liquid? 3/4 up the ingredients for say a stew? How much stock for a joint of meat? I don't have a instruction book

Nick
I've found that two cups of liquid is usually enough for almost any crock pot meal.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Sorry second half of my message wasn't written there, I'm on my phone and pressed the wrong button.

I don't have an instruction book and a lot of recipes I have seen have ingredients I don't have. Is there any websites or books you would recommend?

Nick.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky
Welcome to DC :)

As Tim said less is better. Boiling water after the fact is the way to go.
Condensation from the dish that your making will drip back down into the crock. Keeping everything from burning and still cooking and keeping a roast or chicken moist.

Here's a link for some recipes, help, tips on those vessels. I love my crocks all 6, after today it will be 7..

Slow Cookers - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Best of luck.

Munky.
Thanks I will look now, I'm cooking a curry tonight. See how that turns out.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Sorry second half of my message wasn't written there, I'm on my phone and pressed the wrong button.

I don't have an instruction book and a lot of recipes I have seen have ingredients I don't have. Is there any websites or books you would recommend?

Nick.
The best place I can recommend is a fantastic cooking site named "Discuss Cooking"....wait,...you've found that one....

Ask ANY question you have here on DC and it will get answered by the multitude of awesome cooks here! Watch especially for MsMoffet's recipes. She is one fantastic cook!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Ok, my sauce is very runny. I'm going to use some corn flour to thinken it up. How much should I use? Make it into a paste with cold water right?

Thanks everyone

Nick.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Ok, my sauce is very runny. I'm going to use some corn flour to thinken it up. How much should I use? Make it into a paste with cold water right?

Thanks everyone

Nick.
To make a relatively thick sauce, I use one tablespoon of corn starch per/cup of water.