"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
Head Chef

Question Slow Oven Cooking...

I am interested in recipes like pulled pork, lamb etc but don't have a slow cooker. I have seen recipes that say to slow cook e.g. Mk half (not even 1) for 4 hours. Whilst I realise that is very low...4 hours seems a long time to have an oven on. What I am concerned about is the amount of gas used (via the gas bill). Is 4 hours at this low setting say, the equivalent of about 2 hours on Mk 6 ish, i.e. nothing to be concerned over?

Old 10-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

That's difficult question to answer. Too many variables.

In fact, if you're making pulled pork, you start with a Boston butt which is about 7-8 pounds. After rubbing with spices, a full butt should be roasted for 12-14 hours at gas mark 1/4 or 225F or 110C until an internal temperature >195F is attained. Then it can be pulled and packaged in individual portions and frozen if necessary.

Not sure what your gas prices are in the UK but it's a cost of making great pulled pork.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
Head Chef

Thanks. It isn't necessary to know gas prices in UK, since what I am trying to establish is the equivalent in heat/energy ratio. For instance, can 4 hours at Mk half or Mk. 1 be said to be roughly the amount of heat as, say at Mk. 6 for 2 hours? Just want to get some idea if 4 hours would really rack up the bill or if it is no big deal.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

The point of cooking for a long time at a low temperature (low and slow) is to allow the connective tissue in tough cuts of meat to break down and become tender. You can't rush this process by using a higher temperature for a shorter amount of time.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Why not get a slow cooker, Creative? They're super cheap and very versatile.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Thanks. It isn't necessary to know gas prices in UK, since what I am trying to establish is the equivalent in heat/energy ratio. For instance, can 4 hours at Mk half or Mk. 1 be said to be roughly the amount of heat as, say at Mk. 6 for 2 hours? Just want to get some idea if 4 hours would really rack up the bill or if it is no big deal.

I don't think that's a question anyone here can answer beyond a guess. It's dependent on your oven, it's heat retention, etc. It's not at all clear that half the temperature uses half the gas.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Why not get a slow cooker, Creative? They're super cheap and very versatile.
I like the idea of it but have no spare space at all in my already small kitchen. I have small areas of working surfaces and my cupboards are far too crowded to accommodate storage of a slow cooker.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The point of cooking for a long time at a low temperature (low and slow) is to allow the connective tissue in tough cuts of meat to break down and become tender. You can't rush this process by using a higher temperature for a shorter amount of time.
In BBQ comps, there are some folks cooking at 350 F+ temps on brisket that are winning over 225-250 F cooks. Haven't heard about doing this with pork though.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't think that's a question anyone here can answer beyond a guess. It's dependent on your oven, it's heat retention, etc. It's not at all clear that half the temperature uses half the gas.
O.K. Thanks anyway. Just thought I would ask. Perhaps a gas company or gas cooker company might know? That may be the way forward unless someone posts here with the info I seek.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
O.K. Thanks anyway. Just thought I would ask. Perhaps a gas company or gas cooker company might know? That may be the way forward unless someone posts here with the info I seek.

I think your best bet would be to ask the manufacturer of the oven.

Tags
cook, cooking, oven