Smart Balance "Butter"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mj1

Cook
Did Smart Balance discontinue their squeezable "butter"? I can't find it anywhere. I can't even find it listed on their website.

If they did, can someone recommend something similar that doesn't have any fats in it? I looked at their spreadables but they have 5 grams of fat. I also looked at some of the butter sprays by some other companies but I don't know how well that would work. I mean really, sprayable butter? How are you supposed to drench pancakes and baked potatoes in that?

Probable shortage from too many consumers drenching their food with the stuff* instead of a little dab will do ya. :)

*ORGANIC SOY BEVERAGE (WATER, DEFATTED ORGANIC SOYBEANS), ORGANIC SOY OIL, SALT, BUTTERMILK, LACTIC ACID, SOY LECITHIN, POLYSORBATE 80, XANTHAN GUM, POTASSIUM SORBATE, TBHQ AND CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, BETA-CAROTENE COLOR.

Did Smart Balance discontinue their squeezable "butter"? I can't find it anywhere. I can't even find it listed on their website.

If they did, can someone recommend something similar that doesn't have any fats in it? I looked at their spreadables but they have 5 grams of fat. I also looked at some of the butter sprays by some other companies but I don't know how well that would work. I mean really, sprayable butter? How are you supposed to drench pancakes and baked potatoes in that?

How could it have been fat free? Even those sprays aren't fat free. They just have a negligible amount of fat per serving.

I don't think it's a a good idea to substitute sprays for table spreads.

I'm still waiting for the butter where the ingredients read: "Churned cream" ... Amish style, which is actually very very tasty!

You could make your own by just putting some heavy cream in your food processor and let it run for awhile, until it separates and you have churned butter and buttermilk.

My version of "churned" butter is 1 stick + 1 cup water in a mixing bowl. Mix, pour into an empty tub and chill. I have doubled my butter and not changed the taste or texture at all.

I'm still waiting for the butter where the ingredients read: "Churned cream" ... Amish style, which is actually very very tasty!

i order my Amish style butter from the minerva cheese factory, and i get my unsalted from a local dairy, Smith Creamery.

ingredients: cream, salt.

While I love the idea of "doubling" your real butter, and wish I could find and afford Amish butter, I think the original poster may have posed his/her question with dietary concerns. Smart Balance is touted as actually help reduce cholesterol, if I'm not mistaken.

I actually have a now-retired coworker who, once diagnosed with dangerously high cholesterol, adapted her baking recipes to use the yellow ICBINB spray. There was simply no convincing her that it still had fat in those quantities because she BELIEVED it didn't. She has lost tens of pounds, her cholesterol is back in the healthy range, she just turned 70, and at a holiday party informed me she's still doing her "spray butter baking!" Sometimes blind faith is just what people need.

I have only seen the sticks and the spray in our local stores, mj1. I can't say as I even realized there was a squeezable variety, although I will take note this weekend while I'm out.

If you go to their website one of the products listed is "Smart Beat FF Squeeze Margarine", I think that is with the OP is asking about. However, when I did a product search with my area code it came up not available.
Being in a major metropolitan area, that is a good sign it has been discontinued. I guess you could always go to their website and write them and ask about it:
Butter, Heart Healthy Food, Recipes, Cooking Oil and more by Smart Balance

Butter? Smart Balance

We use Smart Balance with Olive Oil for most everything. Baking???
I use canola oil. I am a health seeker and use what is good for our health. No solid crisco, shortening.

Never bake with butter. Plan to use less sugar and shortening in the recipe. No recipe I have used.....has ever failed. I experiment and go healthy.

Pardon my naiivite but what's the difference between butter and Amish butter?

I never cared for the Smart Balance - makes toast soggy, lol. Canola Harvest is my choice :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom