Smell of garlic from my fingers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottsLady

Assistant Cook
Help please! About 2 weeks ago a friend and I made stuffed peppers. They were delicious! I chopped the garlic and thought it was lovely that my hands smelled like garlic the next day. Now, long after our delicious dinner, every time I put my fingers up to my mouth or nose, I smell garlic! I've tried different soaps, mouthwash (I know!) and even nail polish remover. Any tips? I don't want to smell garlic each time I have a bite of turkey on Thursday.

Try rubbing your hands with a lemon. I've also heard that rubbing your hands on stainless steel works (never tried that myself though) but I know the lemon wedges work well.

Verrrry interesting ideas. I'll try the lemon first, and stainless steal second. I've heard about lemons before but had since forgot. Thanks so much ladies. At least I'm keeping away vampires ;)

Here is another vote for the stainless steel. I would do that even before the lemon as that way if it works to your satisfaction you have not wasted a lemon. Many sink faucets are stainless steel so just wet your hands (water is an important part of this working) and rub them up and down the faucet. It does work.

Ah you ladies rock! I just spent some time rubbing my hands on the bathroom faucet and the smell has gotten much better. I still smell it very very faintly though - so I'll do it again later. Go stainless steel!

Also, the part of my finger that still smells of garlic is my nail --- so maybe I'll just paint my nails to cover up the smell?

I put my hands under the cold running water in the kitchen, spritz some soap on them, then rub the stainless steel faucet.....odours gone....completely.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OUR AMERICAN COUSINS!!!!!

getting rid of the garlic smell from your fingers

Help please! About 2 weeks ago a friend and I made stuffed peppers. They were delicious! I chopped the garlic and thought it was lovely that my hands smelled like garlic the next day. Now, long after our delicious dinner, every time I put my fingers up to my mouth or nose, I smell garlic! I've tried different soaps, mouthwash (I know!) and even nail polish remover. Any tips? I don't want to smell garlic each time I have a bite of turkey on Thursday.

I love garlic and prefer to chop it fresh. whenever i finish chopping i take my knife to the sink and under cold water i clean the knife blade with my fingers, be very careful not to cut yourself. the steel of the knife along with the cold water takes the smell away from my fingers. you can buy a special stainless steel 'smell eraser' to help get the odor of garlic or onion from your hands at most kitchen and bath stores, but why not use the knife that is already in your hand. somewhere i heard that the stainless steel and cold water break some electron bond that allows the odor to leave. obviously i don't know the scientific details, i just know it works for me. let me know if it works for you.

If you read back through the posts, you can see the link I posted about the chemistry involved.

The link you posted really doesn't give any hard facts though Wyogal. here are some things from the link...
There isn't a lot of hard scientific data (that I have seen anyway) concerning stainless steel odor eaters.
How It Works

This is speculation on my part

o.k., I just googled it and found lots of sites...
try this:
How to Get Rid of Garlic Smell
This says it is not an exact science and may have something to do with the sulphur component being attracted to the metals in the stainless steel.

No offense to the person who wrote that article, but it IS an exact science. The author just does not know what it is.

and do you have an explanation? So far, I've not seen anything, other than statements saying that they don't really know why/how it works. There was a study with lab mice in Japan, and a German study (but it's a pdf in German). There are also stainless steel products one puts in their mouth like a lollipop that removes food odors from the mouth.

Nope I don't have an explanation either. Chemistry was never my strong suit so with my D- average I would not pass my info along anyway :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom