Smoked paprika

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do not put it on ice cream, donuts or any other sweet. Not sure it would be good in tuna sald, but I could be wrong.

Do not put it on ice cream, donuts or any other sweet. Not sure it would be good in tuna sald, but I could be wrong.

What she said,

...put it on anything else.

Seriously, it adds a nice hint of smokiness to many dishes. I sprinkle it on when I'm making home fries, roasted potatoes. Add it to meats, sautés, stir fries, anywhere you want a little smoke. Use it in a dry rub in place of regular paprika or in more traditional dishes like Hungarian goulash.

Last edited:
It is one of my favorite spices. You can use it most places that you would want a hit of smoke. It is my (not so) secret ingredient in my hamburgers. It works well with heavy beef flavors like beef stew and pot roast and things like that.

It is one of my favorite spices. You can use it most places that you would want a hit of smoke. It is my (not so) secret ingredient in my hamburgers. It works well with heavy beef flavors like beef stew and pot roast and things like that.

I guess tonight's hamburger steak will have a smoky taste :)

I put a dash of it in my stuffed cabbage rolls and goulash. Any tomato based soup can be improved by a little of it. There are so many people of my parents' generation who think paprika is only a decoration. It's great in some Portuguese bean soup.

Good in meatballs and meatloaves. A bit on top of devilled eggs would be good.

This is a great thing to use rather than liquid smoke.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great ideas guys.

I was in a specialty store at Atwater Market (sort of farmer's market in Montreal). I got some liquid smoke too. I've been looking for it ever since I found out it wasn't made synthecally of nasty chemicals

i use regular or smoky paprika really ofter. it replaces salt in my diet. eggs, meat, chicken, fish. sometimes i use the regular if i don't want to overwhelm the dish. i put in stews, beans and soup. i discovered the many uses when salt became a problem for me.

I don't think I've ever seen smoked paprika, just the regular stuff. Is it someplace other than spices?

I don't think I've ever seen smoked paprika, just the regular stuff. Is it someplace other than spices?

I got it in a store that specializes in spices and sauces. I'm particularly fond of hot paprika, which I can get in some stores near me. The smoked paprika came in hot and sweet (regular, it isn't actually sweet). I bought the smoked sweet.

i like to rub a whole chicken or turkey with a little butter, then sprinkle it inside and out with s&p, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. it adds nice colour and flavour to the otherwise boring bird.

- make smoked paprika butter for several uses such as rubbed under the skin of poultry before roasting or on grilled corn on the cob
- as already mentioned in a rub or marinade
- yummy in homemade roasted tomato soup
- sprinkled on hummus to replace sumac
- smoked paprika goulash
- add to polenta for a hint of a kick
- infuse it in oil to drizzle on all sorts of things!

LCBO's Food & Drink Magazine has a great recipe for Portuguese Kale Soup that uses smoked paprika. I use Kielbasa or Chirozo for the sausage and a vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.

Recipe Details

BTW, this magazine has some great recipes--you can search by ingredient or by recipe type (soup, salad, main dish, etc.). If the link doesn't work, search on Kale as the main ingredient. In 10+ years, I've yet to be unhappy with how one of these recipes turns out.

Back
Top Bottom