"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by petey
Smoke is not good as the oil at that point has changed scientifically. If my oil starts to smoke i'll clean the pot out and start over.
There's a difference between letting the oil smoke, letting the oil smoke and discolor, and letting the oil get to it's flash point. There's also differences between different cooking applications. You can't just go by one rule because it can change depending on the oil, the temperature, and the cooking method.

For deep frying, you don't want the oil to get to smoking temperature but for sauteeing or pan frying it's not really an issue. Olive oil's smoking point is at 370-380 F. Most other oils like Canola or Sunflower have their smoking point at 470-500 F. That is why olive oil is not preferred for deep frying. You can still use it but unlike other oils, you're not going to be able to use it multiple times.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by petey
Smoke is not good as the oil at that point has changed scientifically. If my oil starts to smoke i'll clean the pot out and start over.
It may sound extreme but it is not without merit. If the oil begins to smoke, it means that it begins to break down. This generates substances called free radicals (right YT?) that are bad news healthwise (ageing and cancer-causing agents). These are the reason behind doctors' admonishing against eating fried anything. I do like several fried dishes myself and applying the 'quick seal' on meats initially is a must for most Greek meat dishes. However, there is no denying that there is a tradeoff between good taste and good health. That's why what Petey does is not as far fetched as it may sound at first. He is obviously a strict practicioner of the 'better safe than sorry' principle.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating!
boufa06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
Uncle Bob--have you ever tried frying fish in coconut oil?? It seems to have a high "smoking point" and a little goes a long way. When my husband fries fish, he does so in a skillet with just about a 1/2 in. of the oil in the bottom. It takes a little longer than deep frying, but it tastes wonderful and of course we aren't feeding an army when we do it that way! My girls think it smells like movie theatre popcorn when it's hot!!
bstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:28 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef
You don't hear of people using coconut oil often. It's extremely high in saturated fat.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote