"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
i also agree with the replies and the grades of blened olive oils that have a high smoke point. if you can invest in a cast iron grill pan they work wonderful after seaoning without any oil. you get the nice crust and grill marks.
I'm going to respectfully disagree about buying a grill pan. Check out this thread. A good amount of people find the grill pans useless for anything other than adding nice marks to the meat.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I'm going to respectfully disagree about buying a grill pan. Check out this thread. A good amount of people find the grill pans useless for anything other than adding nice marks to the meat.
ok well i should have said i have the reversible grill/griddle pan and i like it.
btw there is nothing wrong with disagreeing. everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
ok well i should have said i have the reversible grill/griddle pan and i like it.
btw there is nothing wrong with disagreeing. everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Agree. I hated the reversable grill and it wasn't worth the cost. It took so long to cook steaks, twice as long as the bbq or my George Forman. Just thought I'd let the op and others see both sides of the thought process on the grill pans.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Agree. I hated the reversable grill and it wasn't worth the cost. It took so long to cook steaks, twice as long as the bbq or my George Forman. Just thought I'd let the op and others see both sides of the thought process on the grill pans.
very good thing!!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #15
Master Chef

Nothing odd about the salt thing Kadesma - my grandmothers did that, and so did my Mom! They also did that with pork chops ... but that was back in the days when pork chops had a nice amount of fat on them.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Nothing odd about the salt thing Kadesma - my grandmothers did that, and so did my Mom! They also did that with pork chops ... but that was back in the days when pork chops had a nice amount of fat on them.
I think a lot of our parents and grandparents used methods they learned from family..I find I still make steaks and my dad's famos hamburgers the same as he did..Just can't let go of some things

kades