"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smokey Skillet

I'm still a beginner cook. I've been cooking for my family and when grilling steak and, what I made tonight, salmon. I noticed that there is a point in which things get really smokey. Sometimes, I have to open all the windows and doors. Is it because the cooking oil I used has reached it's smoking point? Should I lower the heat at this point?

Old 04-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Executive Chef

What oil are you using? That's nearly always the issue. You need to use an oil with a high smoke point and lower your temp on your pan. It's also about the pan. What kind of pan are you using?

Old 04-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I was using olive oil and an All-Clad Iron Skillet. Should I have used canola oil? So, when it happens lower the heat on my pan huh?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Cooking steaks inside on a pan will create a ton of smoke. If it doesn't then you are not doing it right

I would use an oil with a higher smoke point than olive oil, but even so it is going to smoke. You don't want to turn your heat down because you want that high heat to get that great crust.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinq View Post
I was using olive oil and an All-Clad Iron Skillet. Should I have used canola oil? So, when it happens lower the heat on my pan huh?
Olive Oil has a low smoke point. There are many more oils that have a higher smoke point. I would definitely use canola over olive oil for cooking anything that need high heat.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Cooking steaks inside on a pan will create a ton of smoke. If it doesn't then you are not doing it right

I would use an oil with a higher smoke point than olive oil, but even so it is going to smoke. You don't want to turn your heat down because you want that high heat to get that great crust.
I endorse everything in this post.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
Master Chef

Different grades of Olive Oil have different smoke points - something like refined OO labeled Pure or 100% or Lite or Extra Light has a smoke point equal to or higher than Canola or Peanut. EVOO, on the other hand, does have a lower smoke point. I really hate how people under evaluate the thermal qualities of all grades of OO based on EVOO ....

I have to agree with GB - depends on how you are doing it and what you are doing. When I make blackened redfish, or catfish - I get my CI skillet blazing hot - no oil is NOT going to smoke - and if done indoors you have to remove the batteries from the smoke detectors, open the windows and doors, and crank the fans up to max exhaust mode!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Odd ball here My dad loved steaks, he would take a cast iron skillet, heat it til it was red hot, sprinkle salt in the bottom then add his steak...let one side start to brown, turn 5 min later,remove from pan and eat. He never used oil or butter..Just salt

kadesma
Old 04-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Odd ball here My dad loved steaks, he would take a cast iron skillet, heat it til it was red hot, sprinkle salt in the bottom then add his steak...let one side start to brown, turn 5 min later,remove from pan and eat. He never used oil or butter..Just salt

kadesma
Sounds perfect to me. I don't recall seeing my father use oil when he cooked in the CI. I figure you don't add oil for ground beef, why add it for steak.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
Master Chef

i also agree with the replies and the grades of blened olive oils that have a high smoke point. if you can invest in a cast iron grill pan they work wonderful after seaoning without any oil. you get the nice crust and grill marks.