"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-14-2007, 03:10 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonade
Stay away from the fats that solidify at room temperature. That's pretty universal.
Why is this?

Old 08-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chave982
Well I can understand that...but aren't government organizations the same ones who promote margerine over butter, skim milk over whole milk, and "low fat" anything over full-fat, whole foods? We all know that the claims stating that these foods are healthier than their full-fat counterparts are mostly false.
I think there's little doubt that people eat too much fat in this country, so it's sensible to recommend low-fat alternatives. So the last sentence in the quote above may apply to you, but I don't think it applies to "all" of us.

Quote:
It seems to me that these organizations' main goal is to convince us that anything low-fat is healthy, and healthy food is always low-fat.
I don't think that's the goal at all. The goal is to provide low-fat alternatives so people who want to lose weight can enjoy the foods they like, but with less fat.

Quote:
BTW, the author of that book is very reputable and has written some other good books as well using all hard data and reliable sources.
She has been an editor and an author - Fran McCullough - I see no mention of any training as a nutrition expert and again, anyone can write whatever they want; that doesn't make it true.

As someone with a serious digestive disease, I've learned a lot about nutrition over the last several years, from my doctors, their nurses, registered dieticians and books. I'm not convinced that Fran McCullough is someone I should listen to regarding nutrition issues.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:01 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Why is this?
Saturated fats (butter, lard) and hydroginated oils (vegetable shortening) are the ones that are solid at room temperature. These are generally considered among the most harmful.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #14
Executive Chef

This is probably a dumb question but I've read a lot of posts raving about duck fat being incredible stuff. There was a post about frying up some kind of potatoes with it that sounded so good. Can you buy it already rendered or do I need to kill a duck myself? They don't have them at my local grocery store although I could probably find one at one of the higher end markets. I have never eaten duck and don't know how to cook it so I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time getting the fat out of one properly if I miraculously managed to cook one without burning it up or drying it out or some other ghastly thing. Thanks for your patience.
Terry
Old 08-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm surprised a city the size of San Antonio doesn't carry duck! I find frozen duck in the same section of the market where they keep frozen turkeys most of the year. Ask the meat manager.

You can buy duck fat here. However, I'd rather cook a duck and collect the fat.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #16
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom
This is probably a dumb question but I've read a lot of posts raving about duck fat being incredible stuff. There was a post about frying up some kind of potatoes with it that sounded so good. Can you buy it already rendered or do I need to kill a duck myself? Terry
a) Look for a Whole Foods or Fresh Market or Wild Oats. If they don't carry it - chances are they will order it for you.

b) go here: Welcome to Dartagnan for some of the best mail order duck products you will ever find. When I really want to splurge, I buy duck from them and am thrilled to find out Fresh Market will carry D'Artagnan products on request!
Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #17
Executive Chef

We do have a Whole Foods and a couple of upscale markets so I'm sure I can find duck. Most of our markets are geared toward Mexican food (the reason I love living here) so we have things like goat and whole pigs' heads at every store. When I lived in Houston, there was a large Asian community so duck was readily available in every market. Anyway, I'll look around and thanks for the help.
Terry
Old 08-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom
This is probably a dumb question but I've read a lot of posts raving about duck fat being incredible stuff. There was a post about frying up some kind of potatoes with it that sounded so good. Can you buy it already rendered or do I need to kill a duck myself? They don't have them at my local grocery store although I could probably find one at one of the higher end markets. I have never eaten duck and don't know how to cook it so I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time getting the fat out of one properly if I miraculously managed to cook one without burning it up or drying it out or some other ghastly thing. Thanks for your patience.
Terry
Here's a recent thread on cooking duck: Crispy Duck Breast

Sounds great I had rare duck breast like this at a local restaurant not long ago - it was very good.