"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: gany tikva
Posts: 29
Soaking white beans?

Hi when I leave the beans in a bowl with some water in should I cover the bowl so no air goes into it? for how long is recommended to soak it?

__________________

__________________
flowersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersa View Post
Hi when I leave the beans in a bowl with some water in should I cover the bowl so no air goes into it? for how long is recommended to soak it?
When soaking dry beans it's usually overnight. If you want to cook dry beans without soaking, boil them for a few minutes then turn off the burner and let them sit in the hot water for a couple of hours. Either way, change the water for further cooking.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California's Big Valley
Posts: 810
The beans go in the pot, add water, put the lid on and go to bed. In the a.m. I drain off the water, dump the beans back into the pot and go on with the bean cooking. Or I do the quick soak as Andy described. I don't use a bowl in the bean process except during the eating ceremony.
__________________
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: gany tikva
Posts: 29
Thanks Andy I think I will just leave it in the bowl for 12 hours and then cook it another doubt should I leave it outside on the table and not in the Refrigerator? Once I read I should not leave it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When soaking dry beans it's usually overnight. If you want to cook dry beans without soaking, boil them for a few minutes then turn off the burner and let them sit in the hot water for a couple of hours. Either way, change the water for further cooking.
__________________
flowersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: gany tikva
Posts: 29
Thanks Oldvine for matter of fact I go for the first method because I didn't manage to understand the quick method for soaking (Again English..._)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
The beans go in the pot, add water, put the lid on and go to bed. In the a.m. I drain off the water, dump the beans back into the pot and go on with the bean cooking. Or I do the quick soak as Andy described. I don't use a bowl in the bean process except during the eating ceremony.
__________________
flowersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,114
I don't cover my soaking beans, just leave them out in the pot. Since I rinse them in a colander, I don't think anything is going to contaminate them. I also like the quick soak.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersa View Post
Thanks Andy I think I will just leave it in the bowl for 12 hours and then cook it another doubt should I leave it outside on the table and not in the Refrigerator? Once I read I should not leave it out
I've been cooking for over 50 years and have soaked my share of all sorts of beans. To my recollection I never refrigerated them.

I suppose if one lived in the Sahara or the jungle or any similar torrid area, then the hot climate of those regions could be problematic to leaving the beans out to soak.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: gany tikva
Posts: 29
Hi I too don't find a reason to refrigerated it especially on night time thanks Katie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I've been cooking for over 50 years and have soaked my share of all sorts of beans. To my recollection I never refrigerated them.

I suppose if one lived in the Sahara or the jungle or any similar torrid area, then the hot climate of those regions could be problematic to leaving the beans out to soak.
__________________
flowersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: gany tikva
Posts: 29
Thanks Dawgluver, I'm not sure if for the quick soak you should boil it in the pot for some hours? or am I missing here something lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I don't cover my soaking beans, just leave them out in the pot. Since I rinse them in a colander, I don't think anything is going to contaminate them. I also like the quick soak.
__________________
flowersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersa View Post
Thanks Dawgluver, I'm not sure if for the quick soak you should boil it in the pot for some hours? or am I missing here something lol
No, just boil for a few minutes, as Andy said, then turn off the heat and let the beans sit for awhile. It cuts the soaking overnight time down. Here, our bean packages have instructions for quick soak on the back of the bag.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beans

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.