Soft Bread Crumbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Hi im making this recipe tonight and cant get in touch with original poster so i must ask here.

What are the soft bread crumbs this recipe calls for?
------------------------------------------------------------------
Meatballs in Sour Cream

1 pound ground beef
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 egg
1/4 cup onion chopped
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon A-1® Steak Sauce
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
SAUCE
1 pound tomatoes, canned
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup sour cream
Rice or noodles cooked

Instructions: Mix meatball ingredients (1st 9 ingredients) & form into balls. Cook in covered pan in 2 Tbsp butter.

Drain 1/2 cup liquid from tomatoes & combine with flour until smooth. Set aside.

When meatballs are cooked, add tomatoes to skillet. Cover & simmer 20 minutes.

Remove meatballs. Gradually add flour mixture & stir until thickened. Cook 2 additional minutes.

Reduce heat to very low. Stir in sour cream & heat to serving temperature.

Serve meatballs & sauce over hot rice or noodles.
-----------------------------------------------------

They are fresh breadcrumbs, not dried. Just take some bread (without the crust) and run it through the food processor (pulsing about a second at a time) until the crumbs get to the right size

GB said:
They are fresh breadcrumbs, not dried. Just take some bread (without the crust) and run it through the food processor (pulsing about a second at a time) until the crumbs get to the right size

Bingo! It's that easy.

Hey guys do you mind looking over that recipe real fast and reccomending some fresh herbs i can add to it?

how about fresh parsley inside those meatballs?

also would parmagianno reggiano be out of the question for this dish?

Yep parsley in the meatballs would work very well. And Parm Reg would not be out of the question at all.

You could also add some seasonings to the tomato/sour cream sauce. Onion and garlic come to mind. If you want an Italian flavor, try some oregano or basil as well.

Also, as a rule, I never use garlic or onion SALTS. I tend to use garlic and onion powders. That way you can control the salt content of the dish and avoid possible over-salting.

2 other things.

I wouldn't cook the meatballs "covered" as then they will steam. You want them nice and browned all over. Watch to make sure they don't burn.

If you are using whole tomatoes (which I recommend, the less processed the better), then dump them from the can into a colander or strainer and strain off the liquid. Then smush them up with your clean (and perhaps ring-free hands) so that they are in small peices. You don't want to dump a can of whole tomatoes right in.

Okay the dish is simmering here is what i've done so far.

I formed the meatballs without the seasoning salt like ingredients, i just used red pepper flakes, parsley, breadcrumbs, egg, salt,pepper, onion, garlic, milk

I fried these meatballs in olive oil until nicely browned.

In the meantime, i started sauteeing onion and garlic in a skillet, until nice and fragrant. I then added the can of wholetomatoes which i had crushed by hand. I then added a tablespoon of chopped parsley, salt, pepper, italian herbs, red pepper flakes.

I then scraped the pan and added the fat & juices from the meatballs and the meatballs themselves into this large skillet and set it to simmer, covered.

smells amazing so far.

I'm so sorry, Big! What they told you about the bread crumbs is correct - just use fresh bread rather than dried/stale bread for the crumbs.

In response to the quote below:
If you haven't made them already, cook the meatballs covered, as the recipe states - they are very moist.

And, yes, dump the whole can of tomatoes in - don't strain off the juice - you need it for the sauce.

jennyema said:
2 other things.

I wouldn't cook the meatballs "covered" as then they will steam. You want them nice and browned all over. Watch to make sure they don't burn.

If you are using whole tomatoes (which I recommend, the less processed the better), then dump them from the can into a colander or strainer and strain off the liquid. Then smush them up with your clean (and perhaps ring-free hands) so that they are in small peices. You don't want to dump a can of whole tomatoes right in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom