"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile Sole recipe (I need help)

I'm going to be cooking a Classic Sole Meunière dish tomorrow. I'm very competent at cooking the sole, but the problem is I want to cook an epic side dish to go with the sole.
I have the following ingredients for the side: spinach, spring onion, shrimp, asparagus and loads of herbs and spices.

can you please advise me how to cook my side, it needs to compliment my soul recipe.

cheers guys, I look forward to reading your suggestions.

just remembered I have some olives as well :)

Old 10-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by archernater View Post
I'm going to be cooking a Classic Sole Meunière dish tomorrow. I'm very competent at cooking the sole, but the problem is I want to cook an epic side dish to go with the sole.
I have the following ingredients for the side: spinach, spring onion, shrimp, asparagus and loads of herbs and spices.

can you please advise me how to cook my side, it needs to compliment my soul recipe.

cheers guys, I look forward to reading your suggestions.

just remembered I have some olives as well :)
Sole Meunière is so majestic that it hardly needs a side dish. But the asparagus you could steam lightly and season lightly, stir-fry the schrimps that would go a lovely reddish-pink but add only freshly ground black pepper; cream the spinach, lightly season it also, and for the spring onions, finely chop and sprinkle them over the other three.

Arrange the above ingredients on a nice colourful plate, but serve your olives separately with pre-dinner drinks.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppi G. Koullias View Post
Sole Meunière is so majestic that it hardly needs a side dish. But the asparagus you could steam lightly and season lightly, stir-fry the schrimps that would go a lovely reddish-pink but add only freshly ground black pepper; cream the spinach, lightly season it also, and for the spring onions, finely chop and sprinkle them over the other three.

Arrange the above ingredients on a nice colourful plate, but serve your olives separately with pre-dinner drinks.
Thanks, I'll try that out in a couple of hours time. And let you know how it turned out.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I've been dying to find a sole meuniere recipe for a while! For some reason I expected to find one in Julia Child's "Mastering the art of french cooking" but it doesn't seem to be there. Tmust mean it's in her other cookbooks which I'll have to check out.

Let us know how it turns out! Big fan of the dish
Old 11-02-2010, 02:52 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Dover sole

I love D/sole Meuniere, I first ate it 48 yrs ago in Ketners restuarant Soho,they served it with fantastic french fries, and a piece of lemon, for me nothing more is needed.

Archers you are in the best area for Dover Sole, I used to buy them from the fish shop in Poole, because they were so stiff fresh I would leave in the fridge to loosen for 48 hrs otherwise they could be very tough.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Hi, I just realised it's too late for 'tomorrow', eheh, but you could try to combine the sole with a spinach tarte (in Italy we caal 'sformatino'), in a one portion-small oven pot, served with a cheese fonduta. If you like you can find one example, on my web site! Greetings from Italy, Simona
Old 11-05-2010, 02:06 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

too late here also, but (unsurprisingly, lol) i would have added a starch and a veggie.

how about long grain and wild rice, laced with fine curls of spring onion and wilted spinach. also, quickly grill the asparagus and shrimp that were drizzled in your best evoo, and finish with a coarse sea salt. fleur de sel or grey salt, if you have it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:11 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Tom mate what is evoo?
Old 11-05-2010, 02:22 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

sorry. it stands for extra virgin olive oil.

i prefer greek, but tuscan will certainly do.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:30 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Thank you, if I run out of our own oil (I brought back 10 gallons in sept) I go for Kalamata oil.