Solid or liquid veg' oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rogertb

Assistant Cook
Just watched Nigella deep frying chicken in 'Pura' ... she said you get a better crispier result with 'solid' fat than liquid oil ... why is this ? once heated they're both liquid and look the same ?

I can't really answer your question, but years ago when I had a Fry Baby, I always used Crisco shortening in it. It would do for 3 months and more just adding a couple of scoops to it when it got low. I never had an issue with it tasting bad before I'd change it out for a fresh fill. I never even tried it with liquid oil, so that's all I know.

I can't really answer your question, but years ago when I had a Fry Baby, I always used Crisco shortening in it. It would do for 3 months and more just adding a couple of scoops to it when it got low. I never had an issue with it tasting bad before I'd change it out for a fresh fill. I never even tried it with liquid oil, so that's all I know.

I have the Fry Daddy and I use solid also in it. For one reason, it is cheaper than using liquid oil. Unless you buy it by the gallon or more. And I find that using oil for deep frying, you do have to change it more often.

When I am through using the Fry Daddy, I do strain it through a metal mesh strainer. Then pour it back in the FD. It catches all the bits and pieces that fell to the bottom. Help keep the fat clean.

One time I used lard in my FD. I like it better than Crisco. It allowed the flavor of the food to shine. I just never think to buy lard again.

Never used shortening in my Fry Daddy. My mother always used shortening for deep frying. I'm not to sure why as my wife always has it on hand for the little baking she does.
I buy 5 gallons (I think that is the size) of soybean oil at Costco. I use it over as much as possible. But anything breaded or floured seems to ruin fairly quick.
They sell another soybean product that is between shortening and oil. You can pour it, but its thick and says for deep frying right on the packaging.
Might give that a shot next time.
The soybean oil is the least expensive.

I have the Fry Daddy and I use solid also in it. For one reason, it is cheaper than using liquid oil. Unless you buy it by the gallon or more. And I find that using oil for deep frying, you do have to change it more often.

When I am through using the Fry Daddy, I do strain it through a metal mesh strainer. Then pour it back in the FD. It catches all the bits and pieces that fell to the bottom. Help keep the fat clean.

One time I used lard in my FD. I like it better than Crisco. It allowed the flavor of the food to shine. I just never think to buy lard again.

I picked up some lard last time I was in the store.
Used it to fry some breaded pork chops. Was great. But breaded pork chops are always great.
I did not buy enough for using in my Fry Daddy. But would like to try it with frozen fries.

If memory serves (but often it doesn/t) solid shortening was the only style available. Liquid is a fairly new item. Perhaps it is just 'old school' to use.

To be considered is what is added to make it or keep the oil liquid. Perhaps that is a clue?

...To be considered is what is added to make it or keep the oil liquid. Perhaps that is a clue?

Fats are solid at room temperature while oils are liquid at room temp, at least in my mind.

Oil has to be treated to make it solid. It's hydrogenated.

Fats are solid at room temperature while oils are liquid at room temp, at least in my mind.

Oil has to be treated to make it solid. It's hydrogenated.
Saturated fats are solid at room temperature, which is why coconut oil acts that way. Unsaturated fats, which includes most oils, are liquid at room temperature and usually solidify when refrigerated, or hydrogenated, as you said.

Back
Top Bottom