Some Classic Comfort Foods Of UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too got to travel to England for a class when I was 20, many moons ago. The most memorable food I ate was prawns in an avocado with that special pink sauce, I had that whenever I could. Our instructor also took the class to Simpsons on the Strand, where we had roast beast. Most of what we ate was pretty bland.

Marie Rose sauce? Love that stuff. An Irish pub near us used to serve it with fish and chips. Then it closed and reopened with a new chef who serves it with ordinary tartar sauce. We haven't been back. It's no longer special.

Having watched The Great British Bake Off, I really enjoy seeing how their traditional baked goods differ from ours. There is a longer tradition of baking there with it being an older country. I also like seeing more technical bakes and recipes from all over Europe being made.

They brought the show to the US for one season and it's sad to see how it was dumbed down, the bakes were far less technical and the shows were edited for maximum drama. The drama seemed more important than the baking :(

Having watched The Great British Bake Off, I really enjoy seeing how their traditional baked goods differ from ours. There is a longer tradition of baking there with it being an older country. I also like seeing more technical bakes and recipes from all over Europe being made.

They brought the show to the US for one season and it's sad to see how it was dumbed down, the bakes were far less technical and the shows were edited for maximum drama. The drama seemed more important than the baking :(
Yes it is a very popular programme here - combination of the challenges, useful tips and packaged well with its presenters.

I am surprised to hear that in the US edition there is even MORE drama! The UK entrants are not exactly calm...very nervous and upset if they don't come up to scratch.

So, is the US more like....
671114.gif

Yes it is a very popular programme here - combination of the challenges, useful tips and packaged well with its presenters.

I am surprised to hear that in the US edition there is even MORE drama! The UK entrants are not exactly calm...very nervous and upset if they don't come up to scratch.

So, is the US more like....
671114.gif

Well it's more created drama, they peg someone as a villain, another as a victim, and edit it for maximum drama. It's less about what actually happened and more about creating drama. It's the American reality show formula.

Marie Rose sauce? Love that stuff. An Irish pub near us used to serve it with fish and chips..
I think you just solved part of a puzzle for me! We have a favorite Irish pub. One of our favorites is Irish Pizza that comes with some type of dipping sauce. The pizza is potato shells on a CI pan (looks a lot like a fajita pan...) topped with bacon, green onions, cheese and ??? Oh dear, looks like we have to go back to refresh my memory. :yum:

really? they actually call a stuffed potato skin an irish pizza?

that insults both ireland and italy.

they must be from east belfast.

bt, this dish is SO beyond "stuffed potato skins". The potato shell isn't deep-fried but still crispy. There is a load of two cheeses (cheddar and mozz?). The rest of the generous toppings are bacon, green onions, fresh mushrooms and tomato. And that very yummy dipping sauce. I know I've taken a photo of it when we've eaten at O'Connor's, but I cannot find it in either my phone gallery or Dropbox. Found a rather large image on google. Hopefully, it minimizes the size so that I don't crash DC. :ermm: :ohmy:

P1040579-600.jpg

And now I have a monster craving for one to split with Himself. And an Imperial pint of something imported on-tap to wash it down.

I don't know if it is still there, but there used to be a food cart at Fanuiel Hall. The only thing they served was baked potatoes with a large selection of toppings. I would often get one for my lunch. Bacon bits, butter and a dollop of sour cream. You got one of the tiny packets of S&P. They were always too hot to handle. But the important thing was the skin was crispy. They were not baked in foil. He would crack them open and then put the toppings on. I would take it back to my office and take my time eating it. :angel:

bt, this dish is SO beyond "stuffed potato skins". The potato shell isn't deep-fried but still crispy. There is a load of two cheeses (cheddar and mozz?). The rest of the generous toppings are bacon, green onions, fresh mushrooms and tomato. And that very yummy dipping sauce. I know I've taken a photo of it when we've eaten at O'Connor's, but I cannot find it in either my phone gallery or Dropbox. Found a rather large image on google. Hopefully, it minimizes the size so that I don't crash DC. :ermm: :ohmy:

And now I have a monster craving for one to split with Himself. And an Imperial pint of something imported on-tap to wash it down.

That looks amazing :yum: I've seen a recipe for crispy potato skins where the potatoes were baked, cut in half, and laid on a baking sheet, then another baking sheet was used to smush the potatoes so the skins had maximum contact with the sheet, then filled and baked again.

For you: http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/536089/marie-rose-sauce

Last edited:
Ah thanks GG...I searched for a baked potato Irish pizza recipe with no joy. That at least provides a method for doing it.

I too got to travel to England for a class when I was 20, many moons ago. The most memorable food I ate was prawns in an avocado with that special pink sauce, I had that whenever I could. Our instructor also took the class to Simpsons on the Strand, where we had roast beast. Most of what we ate was pretty bland.
Yes, Simpsons-in-the-Strand is still noted for good English traditional food with good quality well-cooked ingredients not messed around. If you want Roast beef, fine but if you want chilli con carne or burgers you're in the wrong place.

That "special pink sauce" is now glorified as "Marie Rose sauce" (or "pink Mary" as Dad used to call it). You can buy it in jars quite expensively but really it's only mayo and tomato ketchup, lemon juice to taste, a pinch of cayenne and/or a dash of tabasco or Worcester sauce plus salt and pepper to taste. Very "posh" in the 1960s. It's good with burgers as well as with seafood.

Thanks for the link GG, but I had already been online hunting last night. Saw that one, along with a lot more. There are quite a few variations of Marie Rose Sauce. One even called for a Tbsp or two of brandy. :huh: Ah, need to try that one...must buy brandy. Now I have an excuse reason.

Back
Top Bottom