"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
bt, this dish is SO beyond "stuffed potato skins". The potato shell isn't deep-fried but still crispy. There is a load of two cheeses (cheddar and mozz?). The rest of the generous toppings are bacon, green onions, fresh mushrooms and tomato. And that very yummy dipping sauce. I know I've taken a photo of it when we've eaten at O'Connor's, but I cannot find it in either my phone gallery or Dropbox. Found a rather large image on google. Hopefully, it minimizes the size so that I don't crash DC.

And now I have a monster craving for one to split with Himself. And an Imperial pint of something imported on-tap to wash it down.
That looks amazing I've seen a recipe for crispy potato skins where the potatoes were baked, cut in half, and laid on a baking sheet, then another baking sheet was used to smush the potatoes so the skins had maximum contact with the sheet, then filled and baked again.

For you: http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/...rie-rose-sauce

Old 10-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #72
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Ah thanks GG...I searched for a baked potato Irish pizza recipe with no joy. That at least provides a method for doing it.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #73
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I too got to travel to England for a class when I was 20, many moons ago. The most memorable food I ate was prawns in an avocado with that special pink sauce, I had that whenever I could. Our instructor also took the class to Simpsons on the Strand, where we had roast beast. Most of what we ate was pretty bland.
Yes, Simpsons-in-the-Strand is still noted for good English traditional food with good quality well-cooked ingredients not messed around. If you want Roast beef, fine but if you want chilli con carne or burgers you're in the wrong place.

That "special pink sauce" is now glorified as "Marie Rose sauce" (or "pink Mary" as Dad used to call it). You can buy it in jars quite expensively but really it's only mayo and tomato ketchup, lemon juice to taste, a pinch of cayenne and/or a dash of tabasco or Worcester sauce plus salt and pepper to taste. Very "posh" in the 1960s. It's good with burgers as well as with seafood.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:11 AM   #74
Master Chef

Thanks for the link GG, but I had already been online hunting last night. Saw that one, along with a lot more. There are quite a few variations of Marie Rose Sauce. One even called for a Tbsp or two of brandy. Ah, need to try that one...must buy brandy. Now I have an excuse reason.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Brandy, eh? I have some left from summer Sangria-making. Now I have another way to use it! Thanks

Tags
food