"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-29-2005, 08:34 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasgirl
This is incredible, but not for the health conscious - who cares?

Green Curry Chicken
1 lb Chicken, breasts and thighs, skinless and boneless
2 Chicken thighs
1/2 c Coconut cream
1/4 c Green curry paste (more or less to taste)
3 c Coconut milk
1 1/2 c Diced eggplant
2 tb Fish sauce
1 tb Brown sugar
1 ts Cilantro leaves, fresh, chopped finely
1/2 c Basil leaves, fresh, chopped finely
3 Red chilis (serrano or Thai bird chilis), chopped finely

1.Cut the chicken into large, bite sized pieces, and set aside.
2.In a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan, warm the coconut cream over a medium heat until it boils gently. Adjust the heat to maintain a gentle boil and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3.When there are tiny pools of oil glistening on the surface add the curry paste and stir to dissolve it into the coconut cream. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes, until the curry paste is fragrant.
4.Add the chicken pieces and stir fry for 1-2 minutes to coat them evenly with the paste. Cook for about 2 minutes. Increase the heat and add the coconut milk, eggplant, fish sauce, sugar and salt and stir well.
5.Stir in the coriander, adjust the heat to maintain a gentle active boil and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust the seasoning with a little more fish sauce, sugar, or curry paste.
6.When the chicken is done, and the eggplant is just tender, remove from the heat and transfer to a serving bowl. Scatter basil leaves, chopped chilis and coriander on the top. Serve warm with steamed rice.
it sounds delicious. i'd trade the chicken thighs for all chicken breasts, and the brown sugar for white, but otherwise it sounds awesome. thanks a bunch; i think i'll try this after i go shopping next time. i need fresh herbs and fish sauce and i'm not so sure i have any coconut milk. :D

Old 01-29-2005, 10:41 PM   #12
Master Chef

I love green curry paste and use it with coconut MILK (coconut cream is often the sweet stuff sold to make pina coladas with, so watch your ingredients unless you really like it sweet). From there you can go anywhere. I saute meat and vegs, then pour in some chicken stock, the curry paste, and a half can of coconut milk (it freezes well, so with just two of us I use half a can and freeze half). The curry pastes vary a lot in heat from brand to brand (I think both the paste and the coconut milk I use locally are a brand called Thai Kitchen), so you really have to go by personal taste. I let it stew for an hour or so, then serve with basmati or jasmine rice. It would also be great with Asian noodles. Garnish with crushed peanuts. A real great touch if you have them is a ton of fresh herbs: mint, basil, parsley, chives. I like to just put the herbs in a bowl and let everyone put them on at the table. Fresh fruit, sliced cucumbers are great sides for this. Sliced cucumbers and fresh mint are super coolers for those who get a little to much heat. The cukes can be dressed with rice wine vinegar, a squeeze of lime, and some sugar, or just served plain.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:03 PM   #13
Master Chef

thanks, claire. :D my favorite grocery store has Thai Kitchen products and that's the brand of curry paste i have already. i always buy thier brand of noodles, too. i would like to try your recipe with shrimp, i think, but i need to think on the veggies.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:22 PM   #14
Master Chef

Unfortunately I'm not a recipe person, but hope I can help. This also is an excellent product to make a vegetable curry with, as a side dish with grilled meat or vegetarian main dish. The "lite" coconut milk works just as well as the regular (same brand name), so I tend to use it since no one notices the difference. For vegetables: carrots, celery, onions (often several types -- green, red, white, chives), cauliflower, potatoes, green beans, peas, pea pods, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots .... and on and on. But the herbs and peanuts really make the presentation.