Something quick and easy for party of eight...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GT42R

Assistant Cook
Having some friends together tomorrow evening for some casual eating and entertainment, and I'm not sure what I should serve.

Last week when it was just the guys we had some ultimate cheese and chili nachos, but this week the girlfriends are coming too, so something to cater to everyone would be great.

They're bringing some appetizers/salads, so thats covered, just want to figure out some main dish that i can make quick and easy. I was thinking lasagna or something, but seems a bit generic.

Any ideas or suggestions? Much thanks for any input.

How about a nice coq au vin? Its easy as pie and if you do all thighs and drumsticks its reasonable too. Let me go find a link for you. If I can't find it I'll post my recipe. (I don't really use a recipe so it might be a bit vague)

AllenOK's Coq au Vin

My thread

So you will need to increase the amounts as you are cooking for a few more than in those recipes, but its good, fast and looks fancy.

Last edited:

RESERVATIONS! L O L !!!

Just kidding. If the salads and sides are taken care of, what about just a few simple appetizers and grilling something.
Let the grilling fall on the men, then the girls could do cocktails.

RESERVATIONS! L O L !!!

Just kidding. If the salads and sides are taken care of, what about just a few simple appetizers and grilling something.
Let the grilling fall on the men, then the girls could do cocktails.

This sounds good to me. Honestly, I can make a meal out of the appetizers.

If you think you need more, how about a pot of soup or stew and buy or make a great dessert? With the salads and drinks; that will be plenty.

LMAO! UB, you are a brat! You're closer than I am smartypants. Whats for supper at your house???

(And tomorrow night's dinner is going to be creamy lemon chicken and birthday cake for dessert. My daughter turns 13 and will have 7 friends over...wanna come???)

If "salads & sides" are coming, I think you need to know what those "salads & sides" are going to consist of before you settle on a main dish. I certainly wouldn't want to go all the trouble of making a Coq Au Vin or a Lasagna & then find out my "salads & sides" consisted of cole slaw & baked beans.

For a casual, mixer, socialize type dinner for 8 -- I do this sometimes....A pot of Vegetable Beef Soup --- A Pot of Chili --- Two Corn Breads ... A Jalapeno bread, and a Broccoli bread....Sit it out with bowls, spoons, napkins etc...Let everybody eat what they want -- when they want -- if they want!!

Have Fun!

PS ------- For something sweet --- A couple of platters of cookies (Can be bought at your local bakery) --- A bowl of Chocolate Kisses --- Who can resist????

Enjoy!

Here's another idea that couldn't be easier - especially since you don't know what other folks will be bringing.

Simply pick up some already-cooked rotisserie chickens! Get 5 or 6, cut them into quarters or smaller pieces, pile them on a platter in a warm oven & serve with the sides/salads other folks are bringing. There are very few things that don't go with chicken, & "buying, cutting up, & warming" can't get easier.

some good ideas here guys, keep them coming.

alix - your Coq au Vin recipe sounds great, but the work involved seems daunting. this is a casual get together, i dont want to overdo it :D

uncle bob - your soup and bread idea is under consideration, thanks.

breezycooking - i dont know what kinds of sides or appetizers are being brought, and i dont feel inclined to call people up 'hey what you bringing?'
however your idea with the local supermarket rotisere chickens is actually very solid and saves me a bit of work... but dont want to look like a lazy shnook who couldnt even slap together a decent meal without getting some ready made food.

thanks for your input guys

An oven meal

A large oven pan 9 x 13 or larger. Chicken thighs. Dip in milk, coat with seasoned crumbs. (let sit in refrig while you are preparing potatoes & carrots)

Peel and slice potatoes: Place in a large bowl and season. Your choice.
I use EVOO, ground pepper, grated parm cheese. Stir potatoes.

Slice carrots: in the same potato bowl (after you remove the potatoes)

Place the potatoes at the bottom of your pan, carrots in one corner. Lay
the chicken on top. Try not to crowd the chicken. You may want to make more than one pan.

Place in a 400 degree oven ...covered with foil for l hour remove foil and let all brown. Approx 1/2 hour. Aria

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom