Something Special

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zathorious

Assistant Cook
Hi all,

I posted here a couple of weeks ago about a romantic meal and I received wicked advice. So i'm back again!

This girl i'm seeing, it's her birthday on the 28th. She told me that everyone forgets her birthday, so I thought I'd remember and better yet, do something for it.

So I don't know what I should make, a cake etc

But I do know this! She eats a ton of fruit! She loves it! She doesn't really have a favorite, but when I asked she said she really liked peaches and strawberries. She also said she likes whatever's in season, and that she wouldn't buy a peach now because they're not in season.

Question: What is in season at the moment?

I also know that honey crisp apples are her favorite kind of apple (I bought one for that romantic night hehe)

So what should I make? The obvious fruit salad would be okay, or even tarte tatin.

I'm just wondering what you guys would come up with?

Thanks,
Z

P.S

I Promise to post pictures this time!

Many flower shops now deliver fruit bouquets (seasonal fruit on skewers with decorations.)

Just a thought.

As to your question about what fruit is in season, it depends on where you live as to being the freshest. Try visiting your local farmer's market, or talk to the produce manager in your supermarket.

If she likes strawberries try them dipped in melted chocolate or sweeyened whipped cream or bruschetta with crushed strawberries all are yummy and easy to make.
kadesma

I really like the idea's of strawberry bruschetta and the bouquet.

I could make a bouquet and do a dish too.

This forum is amazing, seriously!

Z

Buy some strawberries, and a mix of other berries that look good. Wash and sort through the berries and separate out the less pretty ones.

Mash, crush, chop or use a food processor to make a puree of these separated berries and mix them with sour cream and enough sugar to make them appropriately sweet.

Fill a couple of wine glasses or stemmed water goblets with the fresh fruit and top with the flavored sour cream.

Top with a sprig of mint if you like.

This girl i'm seeing, it's her birthday on the 28th. She told me that everyone forgets her birthday,
:) Zath mate thats one of the oldest in the book.
I don't know whats in season(apart from you) where you live Alix said srawbs so I would buy a quality balsamic (a minimum of 12 yrs old) slice the strawb in half then just before serving add a pinch of ground black pepper and a drizzle of balsamic.

Pardon me for being a envious old cynic:(

If she likes apples, cut up and peel her favorite honey crisp apples, add about 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1/2 cup of water in a pot...let them cook until they are nice and golden brown. Serve them with haagen daaz caramel cone ice cream. The combination is absolutely killer!!

I think i'm going to do a combination.

Bolas you dog! I'm trying that out tomorrow ;)

Keep 'em coming guys!

Thanks!

Keep 'em coming guys!
at my age Zath the mind is willing but the body is weak.
This is my XXX killer from my old recipe book "a thousand and one ways to pluck a chicken"
First make some crepes, then puree and pass a mixture of raspberries and strawberries (you need to pass it through a sieve to get the pips out,there is nothing more embarrassing than when your victim gets a pip lodged under her false teeth), then make up a meringue mix and fold in the puree till you get a flesh like rosy pink color.
Heat your grill.
Lay your crepe on the grill pan and put a bid blob of the pink meringue mix in the middle, fold in half press down lightly till the meringue reaches the edge, dust with icing sugar and grill. The meringue will start to expand and contract as it releases steam causing your folded pink meringue stuffed crepe to pulse like a ......:ohmy:

Last edited:
I really like the idea's of strawberry bruschetta and the bouquet.

I could make a bouquet and do a dish too.

This forum is amazing, seriously!

Z
Sorry I didn't get back to you on this sooner. Here it is it's eacy and we love it.
Take 3 slices of a rustic white bread about 1/2 inch thick toast til golden then spread with good butter. Spoon on crushed or sliced strawberries I like the crushed berries then sprinkle well with sugar. Put under the broiler or use a torch carmelize the sugar about 2 min. Enjoy this is so good you will end up making more.
kadesma:)

Line a tart pan with a graham cracker crumb mixture, bake and allow to chill. Brush that shell with melted white chocolate, fill with a vanilla custard/pudding. Top with sliced fresh strawberries, kiwi and some blueberries. Brush with a peach glaze and chill until service.
Using a regular size muffin tin you could make individual ones so you would not have to slice through it for plating and serving.

I love the mini strawberry cheesecake idea. This version will be no-bake. Melt 2 tbs. butter and combine with 1/2 cup of graham cracker crumbs and two tbs. sugar. Press a thin layer of the crumb mixture into a couple of pretty goblets, half way up the sides, and place in the fridge.

Warm in the microwave 1/4 cup sour cream and 2 lb. cream cheese. Add 3/4 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup sugar. Mix until the sugar is dissolved. Taste and adjust the sugar level to make it as sweet as you want. Wash fresh, sweet strawberries and remove the hull. Slice from top to bottom parallel to the wide side. Many of the slices will look like hearts.

Carefully spoon the cream cheese mixture into the goblets and strategically place strawberries on top. Spread a little strawberry jam on top and stick some berries in just enough so they will stand up. Maybe put a tbs. or so of whipped cream in the center, again with a strawberry standing in it. Serve. Strawberry hearts on cheesecake, served in a pretty glass goblet, what could be more romantic?:mrgreen:

Tip: There is pre-made cheesecake spread available in tubs, in the dairy section of your local supermarket. It tastes pretty good, not quite as good as home made, but not bad, and very easy to work with. You still have to make your own crust though.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

For strawberries, I love to make stuffed strawberries, with blueberry syrup and whipped cream. These can also be arranged on a little shortcake. Prepare the strawberries by cutting off the top, and using the top as a base. Cut into quarters just enough to open the strawberry, but not enough to split into peices. Squeeze slightly to open.

For the "stuffing", use a package of cream cheese, about a cup-1.5c of whipped cream, and about a cup of powdered sugar. Cream them all together until smooth, (start off with just a little whipped cream, it can make it liquidy). Put the mixture into a ziplock bag, cut the corner off and fill the strawberries. from the quartered side.

Simmer a pint of blueberrries with a 1/2c of spiced rum, 1/4c-1/2c sugar (depending on how sweet you want it) and a table spoon of lemon juice for about 10 minutes, stirring often. Don't let it boil. Puree the mixture and use a seive or cheesecloth to thin the syrup out if desired (Both ways are pretty delicious).

I use one of the litte angel food cakes, top with cool whip, and put 3 stuffed strawberries, Stuffed side up. And use the blue berry syrup as a garnish.

This looks like a million bucks, but has the satisfaction of a strawberry cheesecake, and an lightness of the angelfood cake. I promise, you won't regret it. I think I'll go pick up some fruit tomorrow!

For strawberries, I love to make stuffed strawberries, with blueberry syrup and whipped cream. These can also be arranged on a little shortcake. Prepare the strawberries by cutting off the top, and using the top as a base. Cut into quarters just enough to open the strawberry, but not enough to split into peices. Squeeze slightly to open.

For the "stuffing", use a package of cream cheese, about a cup-1.5c of whipped cream, and about a cup of powdered sugar. Cream them all together until smooth, (start off with just a little whipped cream, it can make it liquidy). Put the mixture into a ziplock bag, cut the corner off and fill the strawberries. from the quartered side.

Simmer a pint of blueberrries with a 1/2c of spiced rum, 1/4c-1/2c sugar (depending on how sweet you want it) and a table spoon of lemon juice for about 10 minutes, stirring often. Don't let it boil. Puree the mixture and use a seive or cheesecloth to thin the syrup out if desired (Both ways are pretty delicious).

I use one of the litte angel food cakes, top with cool whip, and put 3 stuffed strawberries, Stuffed side up. And use the blue berry syrup as a garnish.

This looks like a million bucks, but has the satisfaction of a strawberry cheesecake, and an lightness of the angelfood cake. I promise, you won't regret it. I think I'll go pick up some fruit tomorrow!

My husband and I were engaged just 3 months after we started dating. If he'd made me this while we were dating, it would have been days. (But don't let that scare you off Z, not all girls are that willing to tie the knot;)) Everything here sounds wonderful, but I have to admit, if I was a girl being wooed, this would impress the heck out of me!

Back
Top Bottom