"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 08-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
Executive Chef
I would do what jabber suggested for the washing with one pot of boiling water to put the 'dirties' into, but.....

are you ready for my funny idea........?
drum roll, please....

I would get one of those pump sprayers they use to spray pesticide - comes in 1 gallon and larger sizes, and an old dish rack. Wash 'em all, line 'em up in the rack, and spray away. Can be hot/cold, it doesn't matter if they're clean. Camping - drip dry.

quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #12
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Does your camp have a cabin, or do you tent?
What are you willing to go through to have what you want?

If you have a cabin and are willing to do it, put rain gutters on the cabin, duct the water into a plastic tank, and you have a cistern, no water to carry in, but drinking water. Add some clorox to the water and you can drink it.

Want a little more convenience? Get a 12V water pump from a RV dealer and a solar panel and an old car battery. Running water - no work.

Get a few car batteries and you have lights. My SIL has his whole shed with lights and stereo (Car unit) run off a solar panel and a couple golf cart batteries.

I see that you ar in the northeast. The average rainfall is over 30" per SQFT. multiply that times the area of your roof and that's a lot of water.

Some expense to set up, but,worth it.

Again, I do not know if you have a cabin or not.

Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Legend, what did you finally come up with?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #14
Head Chef
If you are car camping and weight isn't an issue. Coleman makes a hot water unit that is very close to a regular kitchen sink. It provides instant hotwater on demand with a faucet. It isn't cheap, but if you car camp quite a bit, it is a very nice unit.

Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Legend, did you ever find a solution to your situation? Would like a post for future reference.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #16
Master Chef
Oh, brother. Should I try again? I've camped a bit (read this quite a lot in my younger years) and like to squirt a bit of freindly soap (meaning if there's any residual it won't hurt humans or the plants you pour it on) on a sponge or scrubbie. Clean everything, then dunk in a bowl or tub (depending on how many you cooked for) of clear water. THis is what Mom did when we camped as kids, and what I've done when I camped with hubby. Hot water is only an issue if you're making something with a lot of oil/fat. For other applications, a good scrubbing and regular temp water will do ok .... alright, I shouldn't say that. For someone as healthy as me, my sibs and parents and cousins and husband, cold water and elbow grease will do it if you aren't cleaning fatty ingredients.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote