Something that acts like a faucet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
ok, strange questions. We have a camp with no water. We buy the gallons of water and use that. but I end up using like 1/2 gallon just to clean say 2-4 things. Especially because it needs to be rinsed and it's hard to rinse dish liquid of stuff without using a certain amount of water. It's also hard with the way it just pours out so fast, half of it just going into the sink.

Are there some camping utilities out there that help in this area?

What about buying one of those large spring water containers with the spout? It can be refilled, if need be, with other water. That way you have that spout to work out of and TWO hands to rinse.

hmmm good idea and better than what I've been doing, but it still comes out pretty fast when you open those sprouts I think. Perhaps I should think about doing the old fashion bucket system. one for washing and another for rinsing, the best I can.

hmmm good idea and better than what I've been doing, but it still comes out pretty fast when you open those sprouts I think. Perhaps I should think about doing the old fashion bucket system. one for washing and another for rinsing, the best I can.
When I was a child, my family camped and that is the way Mom did dishes. She had 2 dishpans. She would cook dinner and then put 2 pots of water on the stove to heat while we ate. One pot would go into each dishpan then she would add her soap to one and some cold water to cool it down enough to put your hands in for washing. The rinse pan stayed hot from the stove and she had a pair of tongs just for taking the dishes out of the hot water to be dried. It was very efficient and saved on water as well.

There is a battery operated pump you can buy from regal. It fits beautifully in those jugs you get from the store. Dunno if that helps or not.

you can bring a card board box and a garbage back and open the bag in the bog to give the bag some shape and support and its a sink.

box folds up and the bag can be reused for the time your there

I just use my camelbak. I hang it up above my head and then just pinch the mouthpiece and it acts like a hose.

Mah dawg licks them plates right clean, she does.
Let em sit out overnight and the ants will git the little bits she missed.
Little spit and a polish and good as new.

:-p

I would do what jabber suggested for the washing with one pot of boiling water to put the 'dirties' into, but.....

are you ready for my funny idea........?
drum roll, please....

I would get one of those pump sprayers they use to spray pesticide - comes in 1 gallon and larger sizes, and an old dish rack. Wash 'em all, line 'em up in the rack, and spray away. Can be hot/cold, it doesn't matter if they're clean. Camping - drip dry.

Does your camp have a cabin, or do you tent?
What are you willing to go through to have what you want?

If you have a cabin and are willing to do it, put rain gutters on the cabin, duct the water into a plastic tank, and you have a cistern, no water to carry in, but drinking water. Add some clorox to the water and you can drink it.

Want a little more convenience? Get a 12V water pump from a RV dealer and a solar panel and an old car battery. Running water - no work.

Get a few car batteries and you have lights. My SIL has his whole shed with lights and stereo (Car unit) run off a solar panel and a couple golf cart batteries.

I see that you ar in the northeast. The average rainfall is over 30" per SQFT. multiply that times the area of your roof and that's a lot of water.

Some expense to set up, but,worth it.

Again, I do not know if you have a cabin or not.

AC

Oh, brother. Should I try again? I've camped a bit (read this quite a lot in my younger years) and like to squirt a bit of freindly soap (meaning if there's any residual it won't hurt humans or the plants you pour it on) on a sponge or scrubbie. Clean everything, then dunk in a bowl or tub (depending on how many you cooked for) of clear water. THis is what Mom did when we camped as kids, and what I've done when I camped with hubby. Hot water is only an issue if you're making something with a lot of oil/fat. For other applications, a good scrubbing and regular temp water will do ok .... alright, I shouldn't say that. For someone as healthy as me, my sibs and parents and cousins and husband, cold water and elbow grease will do it if you aren't cleaning fatty ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom