"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Thanks! I have been meaning to buy a nice cast iron frying pan...that should be heavy enough! I remember when i was in chemistry class, we used a machine that was a bit like a blender..but also had heating capability as well. I often thought that that machine would be ideal for cooking. Temp went up past boiling and the mixing process as slow as a few rpms per minute. Wish I knew the name of it!

Old 04-28-2011, 03:02 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sometimes with thin metal pans, foods will burn to the bottom.

Try to find a Flame tamer. It goes on the burner under the pan and works great to prevent this burning.
M,I have the exact same one

Old 04-28-2011, 04:34 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
I guess I do not know how to simmer...every time I make spaghetti sauce I usually burn some on the very bottom of the pan, which gives the whole sauce a slight burned taste. What am I doing wrong? Sometimes I use a standard pan on an electric plate, sometimes I use a wok on a gas stove.
I hear the Chinese invented spaghetti but the concept of cooking a tomato based spaghetti sauce (gravy in NY) is 'novel' to me.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
I guess I do not know how to simmer...every time I make spaghetti sauce I usually burn some on the very bottom of the pan, which gives the whole sauce a slight burned taste. What am I doing wrong? Sometimes I use a standard pan on an electric plate, sometimes I use a wok on a gas stove.
Use a heavy pan and lower the heat as much as possible. You only need the sauce to be bubbling. Another thing, don't leave the pan on the stove and go away for a couple of minutes and then return back. You need to always watch the pan.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Does anyone know what "simmer" translates into in terms of degrees? 150 degrees F?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

This old Italian guy I knew told me he sets a pie tin in the pot to keep his meatballs from burning. I guess the extra layer buffers the heat some. I don't know how that would work for just sauce.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
does anyone know what "simmer" translates into in terms of degrees? 150 degrees f?
180* ~ 200* f.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:43 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

If I were you I'd shorten the cooking time and stirrrrrrr like hell. May not be the proper solution though... just saying what I'd do. =p

I'm no expert but maybe more oil/water perhaps?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #19
Master Chef

P.S. It may not be your fault at all Pengyou. I once had a stove that the lowest setting was too hot for a true simmer, and that's when I started using the heat diffuser. Worked like a charm.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Truka heat diffusers are flat and efficient, so very good on gas hobs as well and they come in two sizes. If you have a flat top hob like ceramic or solid top range cooker you can cheat by placing 3 or 4 coins of the same thickness on the top and placing your pan on those to diffuse the heat. Just dont burn yourself when you come to take the coins off!