Soup Base

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The higher price reflects the higher quality - the soup base includes actual meat products and not just flavorings. And I believe the soup base makes more cups of stock than the bouillon cubes.

My soup base says 1 tsp per 8 oz water and so does my bullion. The soup base jar was at least twice the size of the bullion, so they are pretty close in price, I think.

I love beef granules. I like sprinkling them on top of things when I am doing a roast in the crock pot. Not that that has anything to do with this...

Oh, okay, I thought you were talking about the cubes. I used to buy stock in a box, but once I discovered the soup base, I never looked back. I think the flavor is much better.

...I used to buy stock in a box, but once I discovered the soup base, I never looked back. I think the flavor is much better.
Soup base is yummy but very salty to me, so I still use stock or broth in a box if I need it. I do tend to use the soup bases when I need to stretch homemade gravy though. Pan dripping with the water from potatoes and/or veggies, plus the stock base. I'll add in some flour/water mix to thicken it a bit. Never have lumpy gravy even though I don't do it the traditional way - thanks to my handy whisk!

Soup base is yummy but very salty to me, so I still use stock or broth in a box if I need it. I do tend to use the soup bases when I need to stretch homemade gravy though. Pan dripping with the water from potatoes and/or veggies, plus the stock base. I'll add in some flour/water mix to thicken it a bit. Never have lumpy gravy even though I don't do it the traditional way - thanks to my handy whisk!

When I made my soup, I first put in a couple pieces of celery, an onion and 2 beef bones. I simmered those until the celery and onion went really limp, then I took them out and put in some bullion. I just put in enough to add color and flavor....probably not a tsp for 8 oz of water. When the soup is done, if it needs more flavor I add a little more bullion, but I usually don't need it. I added no addtl salt. I liked it the way it was, but my husband added salt. I salt very lightly when I cook. For a family dinner, I have to have a couple salt shakers on the table because everyone likes more salt than I do. It's easy to add salt, but you can't take it out once it's in there!

Back
Top Bottom